3 poop butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdface, Apr 3, 2012.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    3 chickens. 3 poopy butts. one of my girls; a buff orp.; constantly has a dirty rear and no matter what i do i cant keep it clean. Ive given up on her. My cochin is usally a little dirty just cause she has extra fluff but today i noticed she was really gross. And befor they went to bed i checked my salom faverolle, and she looked like she was on her way to a nasty rump. They all seem healthy and happy, ive been giving them some apple cider vinager in their water and i guess im going to have to wash them. Is there anything that could be causing this other than a fluffy butt getting in the way. And is there anything else i can give them to ease the grossness

2. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    I've had to cut feathers off with a scissors before to clear a generous area so poop does not get caught in the first place.

3. woozle

woozle New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    You're in NC, so are they into a lot of new greens that were not available a few weeks ago.? (Here, we still have snow on the ground!) A big change in diet might be it with no other symptoms presenting. I'd just clip feathers, too and wait until everything settles. (I could be wrong, though!) Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by