3 pullets - 1 probable rooster = uncertainity

Amy PT

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Michigan
We're new to all of this, and I have some questions. Please humor a rookie.

We currently have three 2 1/2 week old chicks in a brooder in the basement. It looks like our Buff Orpington is on the road to roosterhood, as it has a comb started, and there are some pink wattle buds coming in. Sigh. Sad, as we really love Penny, but can't keep a rooster. Additionally, I'm a vegetarian, and know what often happens to rehomed roosters - any tips on finding a place for him where the main intention isn't dinner?

Three was our ideal flock size. It's probably not a good idea to get a new chick and put her in with the 3 (well hang on to the BO for a little while longer) older ones, right? And one chick alone in a brooder isn't a good idea. Our coop design is done for 3 hens, and we're building this weekend.

Some things I'm considering:
  • 2 bantam chicks, but they aren't sexed at the store (is that standard?) and we don't want to go through a rooster issue again.
  • Waiting until July or so and finding a young Silkie hen. I know Silkie's are hard to sex early, would she be gentle around 3-4 month old pullets?

I'm open to other suggestions that don't land me with 5+ chickens. We just don't have the room - or any legal right for any - for more than 3 or 4.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I like the silkie idea. Then if your BO is a hen, you won't have accidentally have gotten too many. A silkie hen would be pretty close in size to 3-4 month old pullets. In fact, I would worry about the two pullets pushing the silkie around since the silkie would be entering their territory.

I just posted a thread on this same thing! Though, I'm wanting to add a French Marans hen, which I have heard are docile birds. It seems much easier to add an adult to an existing flock of younger birds but I'm not sure how this will turn out. I too do not want to get stuck with roosters, the only ones for sale in my area are straight run only.

The quarantine time also has me concerned buying only a single hen- would she be lonely after a month? I hate to put her through this but I don't want my chicks to fall ill...

i just read that the silkies don't much care for the other breeds as much and prefer hanging out with other silkies. This was just on one person's blog however. Perhaps somebody else with actual experience can debunk this as I too would like to add a silkie for the cute factor.

Back
Top Bottom