3 sided coop

It's 128 square feet. I have eggs in the incubator right now. Out of the 24 eggs, I hope to have 6-10 hens.

I am counting the screened in area in my square feet yes.
If I only counted the enclosed area, it would be up to 16 chickens I could have in the 'coop' (64 sq feet) but I dont' need that many and I don't want them crowded.

So I am figuring 10 sq feet per bird since the enclosure will double as coop and pen. I do not have an enclosed yard area for them away from the dogs, so they will be in this coop or they will be out with my supervision in the larger yard. That will happen much more in warm months than in winter....... so I wanted the coop/pen comfortable for them.

I based my design on the coop of a neighbor who has chickens as well. Her 6 hens have lived in theirs for years and all is well.

looks just about like what I had in my head. I've got 12 birds right now so the size is good too.

I am comfortable doing an open coop like this because I live in a zone 10 region (central california valley). The coop is under a large oak for shade in the hot summers and will help block the more intense rain.
It does not snow here. They are in no danger of frostbite, etc. It we had worse weather I would make a more airtight/protected 4 sided coop inside the larger pen.

I have 59 chicks and hope to get at least 35 hens and maybe 3 or 4 roos. Crossing my fingers. I might make a divided rooster pen later if they start fighting. Then I want a breeding pen as well.
fl.gif
I think hubby and I have it figured out. 20x20 with a whole half a wall that opens covered in screen for ventilation for summer. We live in zone 8 so not that far off from you. If it does get below freezing it doesn't last. Good luck on yours, will look for pics!!

newcoop.jpg

not sure if u can see this it's kinda small. BUt instead of building nest boxes this time we're gonna get those big kitty litter boxes that have the covers on them for nest boxes.

lil'chickies :

I have 59 chicks and hope to get at least 35 hens and maybe 3 or 4 roos. Crossing my fingers. I might make a divided rooster pen later if they start fighting. Then I want a breeding pen as well.
fl.gif
I think hubby and I have it figured out. 20x20 with a whole half a wall that opens covered in screen for ventilation for summer. We live in zone 8 so not that far off from you. If it does get below freezing it doesn't last. Good luck on yours, will look for pics!!

Look up Sunshine silkies on here her's is awesome! they call it the chicken condo. it sounds like kinda what ur looking for. Here's a link to her website.

http://www.freewebs.com/sunshinesilkies/index.htm

not sure if it has pics on there of it though.​

That looks great! Did I mention we are using wooden pallets for construction. It will be finished out with plywood though. Recycled windows from when our house ones were replaced. Chain link fencing for run that my brother-in-law was given. Going green on this. Be out the cost of plywood, hardware cloth, and a screen door. Milk crates for nesting boxes. Tin from a house being torn down, and other materials if any are salvageable. Good luck to all and I will get pictures up tomorrow!!

Back
Top Bottom