1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 small coops in same run or 1 big coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofpets, Jul 20, 2011.

1. momofpets

momofpets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    I got 3 wood shipping crates that are 3 x 4 feet, 3.5 x 4.5 ft , and 4 x 4 ft. I broke them down in panels and was planning on making one big coop but realized that unless I am willing to shell out some money for playwood to make it symmetrical, the wood walls would have different heights eventhought the overall coop will be 5 ft tall and the bottom of the coop will be 12 to 15 inches raised above the ground. The top part of the walls will have hardware cloth. Should I make 1 large coop or have 3 different coops? I was thinking that having 3 coops might be beneficial because 1 coop for the chickens, 1 coop for the ducks and another coop for broody duck pen. If I did that, I would subdivide the run into 3 separate areas. I was going to make a run that is 10x15 ft or possibly 10 x 18 ft. Problem is, the bigger the run, the more it encroaches on my dogs exercise area. Suggestions? Thank your help!

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Depends on what you're doing. I'd make three seperate coops so if you ever wanna breed pure breds you can have that option. Or ducks like you mentioned. Or you could even make one semi big one with two of the crates and a small one for ducks, broodys, etc. you have lots of cool options!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by