3 stray hens and a rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lisajones64, Dec 31, 2013.

1. lisajones64

lisajones64 New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    We have had chickens for 8 months now and a couple weeks ago 3 hens and a rooster showed up in our woods. We live in Missouri and right now the weather is getting to be around zero at night. They come out of the woods every morning and once we let our chickens out they will go in the coop and eat. Two are white and the rooster and other hen are black and brown and very tiny. They seem to be getting thinner. When we walk out they run to the edge of the woods and wont come near us. Our chickens have nothing to do with them and peck at them. I feel bad for them. I have a feeling someone bought them as chicks because they were cute and once they got big and saw our coop (we live in a subdivision) decided to just dump them. What should I do for these poor abandoned chickens? Thanks

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You could try to capture them, then rehome or integrate them into your flock. Left alone, nature will likely take care of them.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

If this was happening to me, I might try putting out feed and water for them. Each day move the feeders and waterers closer to your coop. I might also try leaving them really tastey goodies so they start to associate the property with goodies and hopefully soon I could win over their trust enough to corner or trap them in a dog crate. I keep quail as well and many years ago had a giant escape of several of them. I used these large wire dog crates left open with food in them and was able to catch nearly all of them this way.

Good luck and enjoy BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Like the other posters said, you can catch them and either keep them, cull them or rehome them. If you just let them be, sooner or later a predator will probably take care of them... I would do something I think though, they are so close to your chickens you don't want them attracting predators to yours. Do you want them and have room in your coop for them or can you set up a separate area for them? It will take awhile to integrate them with yours. They are already mixing with your flock so rather late to quarantine.

5. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome. Good luck with the strays

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! The above posters have given you good advice, good luck.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Glad you joined us!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with the strays. When we first moved here someone would drop off chickens every fall. This happened 4 or 5 years in a row.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by