3 strikes your out ~My rooster attacks

.... My 2nd hatch this year turned out 22 chicks.  5 pullets & 17 cockrells! ....
.... The one rooster which I thought was going to be a good rooster grabbed up one of the grown roosters the other day & tried to mate with him!  ...

....I too have a daughter who has been attached by our roos.....

Out of my 15 I think maybe 4 are pullets.... And that might be pushing it! It was a good year for roo hatches I guess!

I had the full sex talk with my daughter because of shameless roosters like this! She knew where babies came from but not with details and pictures.... And they decided to do their thing up against the sliding glass door to our living room.

I cut off both roosters heads last night. The BR got the ax after attacking my mama bird and her chicks multiple times in one day. I do it at night so I won't upset my girls. She was supposed to be in bed but My daughter is so picky about the feathers and couldn't help herself. I thought I was at the "it's good enough" stage in plucking but my daughter pipes up, scaring the tar outta me, "mom you missed one." It was 9 she was supposed to be in bed! I told her next time I was going to leave the feathers on the legs. She eats he legs lol all I heard was mooooooom (use your whineyest most annoying tone) I swear she's plucking the next one... Then she'll get why I singe off the little hairs!

This thread has given me a lot of chuckles! I've got 11 chicks right now and another hatch coming (this is what happens when we risk taking a vacation... 3 hens gone broody!) I swear nearly ALL of them are chest bumping and acting like roos...
barnie.gif

It may be time for my daughter to toughen up and accept that we now have meat chickens in our flock.

yuckyuck.gif

Nothing like living on a farm to start "the talk"...

Our previous rooster was so active, I felt like giving out disclaimers to our friends who were coming over with their kids... especially the families from the 'burbs... :)

This thread has given me a lot of chuckles!  I've got 11 chicks right now and another hatch coming (this is what happens when we risk taking a vacation... 3 hens gone broody!)  I swear nearly ALL of them are chest bumping and acting like roos...
:barnie

It may be time for my daughter to toughen up and accept that we now have meat chickens in our flock.

She can hang out with mine she'll help her name them... She has named our meat chickens according to what dish she wants them to be. Chicken nugget, rotissire, drumstick, casarole, sandwich, ect. It's hilarious to listen to her feed them. "Come here nugget I need you to eat so you can get nice and big!" Lol some people think it's twisted but I love that she knows where our food comes from and isn't grossed out by it!

I agree 100%! Some of ours have acquired names. Most on special features or characteristics, but when butcher day rolls around, you can't tell who was who without the head & feathers. Doesn't bother us, or our 8yr old girl.

I agree 100%!   Some of ours have acquired names.  Most on special features or characteristics, but when butcher day rolls around, you can't tell who was who without the head & feathers.  Doesn't bother us, or our 8yr old girl.

The 2 roosters I butchered have been resting in the fridge. My daughter took out the larger of the 2 and asked if we could find out what RJ tastes like! We are cooking him beer butt style .... Mmmmmm chicken......

I've had to have the sex talk with my 8 y.o. b/c of the activity of the rooster with his harem. The conversation went something like this, as she's playing with 2 stuffed animals in the back seat of the car, having one of them riding the other's back, and thrashing around. Teen ager: "What are you doing?" 8 y.o.: "They're mating." Teen ager: "That's gross. Grammy, make her stop." 8 y.o.: "They're going to have babies. I'm going to take them to school so they can mate and have babies at school." I had to repeatedly tell her that it's not ok for her stuffed animals to mate at school, at church, or anywhere in public, and further, it's really not ok to discuss mating in those places.

Oh, when it's time to butcher, she is right there, lots of questions, and thinks it's funny to see a chicken running around without it's head. strange child. She knows where her food comes from!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom