3 stupid questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuranoFarms, Dec 10, 2009.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    1. Do they make anything in a lower wattage then a 25 watt bulb? My homemade incubator is super small and even the 25 is getting it too hot.

2. I think I have a sinus cold...can my chicks get it? Can I infect the eggs?

3. Do I have to open the quitters? They are in the last week and I don't really want to look.

Thanks!

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:#1. Yes, I think so. Call the store (Walmart, or any store) and ask them to be sure.
    #2. No
    #3. No, you don't have to. I didn't the first time.

3. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    Check out the so called CFL (compact Fluorescent Light bulbs). Their actual wattage varies from 7,9 14watts which are a lot cooler than the standard 25watt Incandescent light bulbs.

4. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Thanks for the quick reply's!
    I have a small base socket in my incubator. The kind that either a nightlight bulb or those thin flame shaped chandelier bulbs fit in. It's close to 105 with the 25 watt. The only styrofoam cooler I could find was really small, but it looks like I'm not going to have more then 8 eggs at a time in it so I figured it would be ok. I'll look at Walmart tomorrow. If not, maybe more ventilation holes?

I ran a cat rescue and know that they cant get sick from us, but chickens...I wasn't sure! lol

I opened 3 a few days back that were tiny embryos. Clearly dead but ugh! I really don't want to see them more formed at this point. Maybe next year.

5. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    I know they have 20w bulbs because that is what I have in my Scentsy warmer. I bought my bulbs though Scentsy though...and they have smaller bases. dfwscents.com (I hope it is ok to post that) But I am pretty sure you can get those bulbs at hardware stores if not Walmart. I would call Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart for a quick find. Or you could always move the bulb further away from the chicks if possible??

6. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Thanks! I'll check Home depot tomorrow too! If you bought the bulb for a warmer...Michaeles might even have them.
    I'll be using it for hatching starting Sunday morning. I have 38 eggs in the incubator but only 8 are going into lockdown. Hopefully I can figure it out by then. Thanks!

7. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Do you have a thermostat in there? You can pick up a hot water heater thermostat for around $9.00 at Home Depot. They are easy to wire. They don't do a great job of regulating the heat but it's better than nothing. Especially if your room temp fluctuates a bit, then your incubator temp will fluctuate too.
    If you don't want to go with a thermostat, maybe you could rig up a couple of old christmas lights. They are surely low wattage.

8. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    I'm pretty sure that you can get a 15 watt or a 7 watt light bulb. The 7 watt ones are the ones that you use in the little night lights.

9. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I read somewhere that somebody used christmas lights in a homemade incubator. Maybe that would help.

Or chech out a hardware store, sometimes they have unusual sizes.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by