3 Week Old - Bent Beak

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
This is Uno, my 3 week old partridge cochin. What would you even go about calling whatever is wrong with her beak? I never noticed it until today, but she did have it to a degree when I looked back on older pictures. Is it cross beak? Both the top and bottom line up, so I’m not sure if it. Do you think she’ll be okay as she gets older?

Attachments

• A9A15894-32BC-4F0E-AD56-2736E4E95F2E.jpeg
    A9A15894-32BC-4F0E-AD56-2736E4E95F2E.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 878E69B7-3054-4B4E-9629-93D636AE3B8F.jpeg
    878E69B7-3054-4B4E-9629-93D636AE3B8F.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 20
  • A59574E2-4363-45ED-A180-21626A7E676C.jpeg
    A59574E2-4363-45ED-A180-21626A7E676C.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 21
  • F9B9A1DF-0A74-40C2-83D4-DC06D4988FF4.jpeg
    F9B9A1DF-0A74-40C2-83D4-DC06D4988FF4.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 18
It's definitely crooked, I don't see any cross beak from the pictures. Maybe just developed this way?

I'd say that if a severely cross beaked chicken can live a good life, so can this little one! :) its a cutie!

If you bred and hatched that chick yourself I'd be taking a hard look at your breeder pen's nutrition. It's certainly a birth defect, although I'm not sure what it would be officially termed. Something led to it having a soft enough skull and beak to deform that way in the egg though.

If you bred and hatched that chick yourself I'd be taking a hard look at your breeder pen's nutrition. It's certainly a birth defect, although I'm not sure what it would be officially termed. Something led to it having a soft enough skull and beak to deform that way in the egg though.
She’s from a hatchery

I know you weren't asking me specifically there but I would say there's no chance that will ever straighten out. I would imagine it would either become more pronounced as she grows or stay roughly the same and may look a bit more normal when bigger, but I don't think anything will make it straight. She should do all right though, since top and bottom line up, albeit with a curve.

I know you weren't asking me specifically there but I would say there's no chance that will ever straighten out. I would imagine it would either become more pronounced as she grows or stay roughly the same and may look a bit more normal when bigger, but I don't think anything will make it straight. She should do all right though, since top and bottom line up, albeit with a curve.
Yeah, that’s what I thought. I had a duck that got an injury on the side of her bill ( looked like she got burnt at the hatchery ) and it grew out crooked at first, but straightened up as she got older. Sadly, I lost her unexpectedly recently, so I didn’t get to see if it went back to normal fully. Though, this is a different situation and circumstances.

however, do you think it would be a good idea to start giving them vitamins in their water?

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I had a duck that got an injury on the side of her bill ( looked like she got burnt at the hatchery ) and it grew out crooked at first, but straightened up as she got older. Sadly, I lost her unexpectedly recently, so I didn’t get to see if it went back to normal fully. Though, this is a different situation and circumstances.

however, do you think it would be a good idea to start giving them vitamins in their water?
Vitamins wouldn't hurt, I use nutridrench for my birds but many people also use sav-a-chic probiotics, electrolytes, or Apple Cider vinegar in their water. I wouldn't use all combined, just one.

If you use apple Cider vinegar you can do 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. Use this only in plastic or rubber waterers - it is corrosive to metals.

Vitamins wouldn't hurt, I use nutridrench for my birds but many people also use sav-a-chic probiotics, electrolytes, or Apple Cider vinegar in their water. I wouldn't use all combined, just one.

If you use apple Cider vinegar you can do 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. Use this only in plastic or rubber waterers - it is corrosive to metals.
I’ve used the durvet brand in the past, they usually come in packets that are meant to be mixed in a gallon of water. I also have high level vitamin b complex.

I imagine the packets would be better, yeah? Since it should have more than one vitamin in it.

Back
Top Bottom