3 week old chick, clear slim/mucus in mouth. Help!

PurpleDaze

Songster
May 12, 2020
Central Texas
IMG_20200529_202848.jpg
Hello,
My 3 week old Olive Egger has been down and out for the past 4-5 days. She was not drinking or eating and would just stand under the heat lamp with her eyes closed, neck tucked in, wings a little droopy, and feathers a little fluffy. At first I thought she just needed some nutridrench so I started her on that as well as giving her water via syringe. She seemed to perk up a little after two days, she walked over and started to eat.

Well, I noticed that while she was eating she would stop and shake her head because the food was sticking to her beak. The next morning I noticed clear slim or maybe mucus in her beak. It's not dripping out or anything, nothing from her eyes or nose. Just in her mouth. I did my best to clear it out of her beak before giving her water and NutriDrench which seemed to help some.

This evening she wasn't able to drink the water very well because of this clear slim stuff in her mouth. I tried to give her hard boiled eggs but she wasn't interested. I'm not sure what to do. She will also peep ever so quietly, when I hold her to give her water.

All other chicks are fine, she is now on the smaller side. Any advice, would be highly appreciated!!!

***EDITED TO ADD***
I also started her on Corid on day two after one of my other chicks pooped clear watery poop with blood in it. I did the whole flock, but her's is via syringe. She had pooped two times that I saw and both were watery. I figured because she had not eaten for a few days but was getting water. She also sleeps standing up, she doesn't lay down like all the other chicks.

Last edited:
Corid would have been my first suggestion, you said you are direct dosing her? How much of which form of Corid are you using per quart or gallon of water? How many days have you been treating?

Corid would have been my first suggestion, you said you are direct dosing her? How much of which form of Corid are you using per quart or gallon of water? How many days have you been treating?
I have the liquid kind, and we figured out the dosing per her weight and how much water for the 5 day drench. As per the label. Today is day 4.

If you have the Corid liquid, give her 0.1 ml orally twice a day in addition to the medicated water. Make sure that she is drinking or or give her water with a dropper.
I have been giving her the 5 day drench treatment (today is day 4) as per the label of the liquid Corid, for her weight. She I still give the 0.1 ml just straight?

I would, are you also still using Nutri-Drench? If so you should probably stop for now, it could be interfering with the Corid.
I was still using it, but I will stop tomorrow. I just know she hasn't really been able to eat with the sticky clear slim/mucus in her mouth and was worried. But I do have a little update, she pooped just a little bit ago and it was mainly white with a little bit of black and lose. So hopefully things are starting to go in the right direction. 😊 Thank you!

3 week old
been down and out for the past 4-5 days. She was not drinking or eating and would just stand under the heat lamp with her eyes closed, neck tucked in, wings a little droopy, and feathers a little fluffy
I noticed that while she was eating she would stop and shake her head because the food was sticking to her beak. The next morning I noticed clear slim or maybe mucus in her beak. It's not dripping out or anything, nothing from her eyes or nose. Just in her mouth.
This evening she wasn't able to drink the water very well because of this clear slim stuff in her mouth.
started her on Corid on day two after one of my other chicks pooped clear watery poop with blood in it. I did the whole flock, but her's is via syringe. She had pooped two times that I saw and both were watery. I figured because she had not eaten for a few days but was getting water. She also sleeps standing up
I have the liquid kind, and we figured out the dosing per her weight and how much water for the 5 day drench. As per the label. Today is day 4.
I have been giving her the 5 day drench treatment (today is day 4) as per the label of the liquid Corid, for her weight. She I still give the 0.1 ml just straight?
she pooped just a little bit ago and it was mainly white with a little bit of black and lose.
Can you please post some photos of the poop. If possible, the slim/mucous and inside of her beak.

Do you see any lesions inside the beak?

The label on the Corid is for Cattle. Poultry dosing is different.
For liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water.
Direct oral dose for drench is .10ml per pound of weight - this is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water during waking hours.

Don't give the Nutri-Drench while giving Corid. It contains Thiamine.

Is this chick's crop empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?

Can you please post some photos of the poop. If possible, the slim/mucous and inside of her beak.

Do you see any lesions inside the beak?

The label on the Corid is for Cattle. Poultry dosing is different.
For liquid Corid dose is 2 teaspoons of Corid per gallon of water.
Direct oral dose for drench is .10ml per pound of weight - this is in addition to her drinking the mixed Corid water during waking hours.

Don't give the Nutri-Drench while giving Corid. It contains Thiamine.

Is this chick's crop empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
Thank you! I will try to get a picture of her poop, I just moved her out of the big brooder and into a smaller one by her self. It will be much easier to get a picture now. I will also try to get a picture of the slime/mucus.

I have looked into her mouth as best I can, I could not see any sores, funny colors, or lesions.

So just to clarify, is it 0.1ml or .10ml or 1 ml of Corid?

I did stop the NutriDrench, I didn't not know I shouldn't give both at the same time.

I'm a new chick owner, where is the crop, and how would I check it? (Sorry, complete newb!!!)

So just to clarify, is it 0.1ml or .10ml or 1 ml of Corid?

I'm a new chick owner, where is the crop, and how would I check it? (Sorry, complete newb!!!)
0.1ml is the same thing as .10ml - that is the dose for the Direct Drench of Liquid Corid.
You would give that in addition to her drinking the Mixed Corid Solution all day long.

Back
Top Bottom