3 week old chick droopy wings, not drinking....

Okay. That's what I thought but just wanted to double check. Shes actually doing a bit better today so hopefully it got caught in time

That's great news. And now you've got some corid into her she should pick up quickly.
Hope she's feeling better soon.

Okay. Found corid but all they had was 20% powder. What dosage should I use?

The powder dose for poultry is:
  • 1.5 teaspoons to medicate one US gallon to .024%
  • 3/4 teaspoon to medicate one US gallon to .012%
  • 1/3 teaspoon to medicate one US gallon to .006%

The liquid dose for poultry is:
  • 2 teaspoons to medicate one US gallon to .024%
  • 1 teaspoons to medicate one US gallon to .012%
  • 1/2 teaspoon to medicate one US gallon to .006%

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

And this link has more info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

-Kathy

Don't get me wrong, I like dawg53 and respect him a lot. That said, I would love for someone to show me how 1/2 teaspoon of the powder has the same amount of medication in milligrams as 9.5ml or 2 teaspoons of the 9.6% liquid. If someone can do that, I will correct my mis-information and never advise on the Corid dose again, but until then I know for a fact that there are 912mg of amprolium in 9.5ml of the liquid and there are ~270mg in 1/2 teaspoon of the powder.

The Corid website lists the dosage for cattle, which is the .012% level and it says 1 teaspoon for the liquid and 3/4 teaspoon for the powder. So to get to the .024% level you need to double that, right? That's 2 teaspoons of the liquid and 1.5 of the powder.

Maybe I'm missing something... If I am, will someone *please* put me in my place, lol.

-Kathy

The corid 20% soluable powder is concentrated (20%.) 1/2 teaspoon corid soluable powder per gallon of water for 5 days will do the job. Keep in mind that the chickens systems metabolize everything much quicker than other animals. For the corid 9.6% liquid solution, 9.5cc's per gallon of water is all that is needed to do the job over a 5 day period.

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm going to do the math a different way according to these instructions from:
http://www.asp-inc.com/products/documents/prodinfo/a/amp128.pdf:

Dosage Level Mixing Directions
0.024% Dissolve 8 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder in about five gallons of water in a 50-gallon medication barrel. Stir, then add water to the 50 gallon mark. Stir thoroughly.
0.012% Follow same directions as above but use 4 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.
0.006% Follow same directions as above but use 2 ounces of AMPROL 128 20% Soluble Powder.

Facts
  • One pack = 10 oz. (283.5 grams)
  • One ounce = 28.35 grams
  • One ounce of powder = ~3.5 tablespoons
  • 200mg amprolium per 1 gram

My twisted math for the .024% level
If 8 ounces (28.35g x 8 = 226.8 grams) are needed for 50 gallons, then 1/50 of that is needed for 1 gallon, right?
So that would be 226.8 grams divided by 50 = 4.536 grams per gallon. (doing this as I type, so correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

So how much does a teaspoon of Corid or Amprol powder weigh? Anyone know? Well, time to break out my gram scale and do some weighing... also have a call into the mfg of Corid and I'm expecting a call back from them.

Just got a call back from them and it is 4.536 grams per gallon. He also said that it's a very safe product and the risk of overdosing is very slim.

-Kathy

Notes: Please make comments as I add stuff, 'cause I do make mistakes and would like to do this correctly.

Last edited:
I'm horrible with math. Just look at my chicken math (replacing 1 dead chick means buying 3 more :p) but here is what I did.

1 gallon is equal to roughly 3.7 liters.

So with half of that would be roughly 2 liters (lots of rounding in my math).

Now, I kept getting different doses ranging from 3/4 teaspoon to 1.5 teaspoons so I did math my way again and decided that the dosage should be 1 teaspoon per gallon. Since I don't have a gallon jar/bucket/bottle I took a 2 liter bottle, cleaned it out real well and that gave me half a gallon! Add in 1/2 teaspoon (half the dosage for a full gallon) and shake well!

It's horrible math and probably completely wrong BUT Eli is doing much much better. Her wings are back up, her energy is picking up, she's eating like a piggy, and while she is not 100% she is well on the road to recovery so chicken math went my way this time. lol

Back
Top Bottom