3 week old chick multiple issues…HELP

tnartlady

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
I was given a sickly 3 week old chick yesterday. She has crooked toes (will try taping), but her legs are flaky, almost like a dandruff. She has scabs in the center of both feet, and I am trying soaking her feet because it looks like bumble foot. She is crusty around her beak and I can’t tell if she’s scabby because she has been picked on by siblings, or if she has something else going on. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• E51A3DC4-8F26-4A37-BCD7-2D47DD4F2BBC.jpeg
    E51A3DC4-8F26-4A37-BCD7-2D47DD4F2BBC.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 20
  • A2F1D520-9143-4D76-9C8B-A5DA44156385.jpeg
    A2F1D520-9143-4D76-9C8B-A5DA44156385.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 11
Can she stand and walk? It appears that she was on some kind of surface that was very irritating, maybe lots of droppings build up, maybe rough wire. I would soak the legs and feet in warm epsom salts and apply plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to all those areas several times a day. Keep her on a softer, non irritating surface. If you can use clean towels or puppy pads that would be better than shavings until the ointment can be stopped. If she's hock sitting also, that may be why the back of the hocks is also irritated. I would give a super B complex tablet or capsule, 1/2 of one, once a day to see if it helps with that (human ones, you can get at any pharmacy). You can grind it or empty it and mix into a small amount of moistened feed if she'll eat it. Watch for any discharge from nares, beak or eyes. If where she came from was very dirty with droppings build up, then the ammonia could have irritated her respiratory system, as well as the legs and feet. It's also possible that if a heat plate was used incorrectly that those are burns. If she needs help standing then you can use a chick chair for periods to help her stay upright, link below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom