3 week old chick with injured eye

FlickofFire

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Hi all

I posted in the raising chicks thread too with more detail.

in short I picked up some new chicks 2 weeks ago. Noticed one with a closed eye when I got home that I didn't catch at the feed store.

The chick would half open it so I did nothing for a few days thinking itvwas irritated by something that got in it.

I start treating with a triple antibiotic eye ointment 3 times a day and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The third eyelid is red swollen and covers the whole eyeball. When you can catch a imps of the eyeball it now looks milky. This eye never had ooze and crust over the eyelid. I only found a few boogery things when I clean it with warm water. Herbwing on that side does get a bit crusty where she wipes her eye and she does scratch at it alot. Also the area around her eye seems swollen but it's hard to tell since her feathers on that side remain flat on her head from cleaning and some ointment.

This is such a tame sweet chick who tolerates the cleaning and medication so well. She eats drinks and preens but isn't growing well. She never fills her crop like the other chicks do!

What can I do for her? Was this a scratch or fungal infection? I've been treating this eye for almost 2 weeks with no improvement.
Please give any advice. I've only raised a few chicks but have brought some of my hens through weired injuries.

Thanks
Amy

Update

I took care if her eye and when I opened it all I could see was thick yellow and swelling. I thought for sure her eye had blown or something bad like that. But when I started cleaning, this HUGE pellet of material came out!! Huge for her little eye!!! I've read about these pellets from another thread with a hen with an infected eye.

This pellet is what was shoving the eyeball back and down so I could no longer see the black eye.

She is halfway opening her eye now and it is watery. I out more antibiotic in it.

Anyone have experience with this??

Amy

Back
Top Bottom