3 Week Old Chick With LEAKY vent & SWOLLEN Knee :(

Coconut oil administered (that was tedious) & crop massaged. She did not enjoy the coconut oil. Thankful my daughter was here to help :) If there's a blockage in there I hope it comes out. She pooped 3x during her coconut oil treatment. Now I guess we wait & see...

It's been about 24 hours since giving the coconut oil. Unfortunately, her butt was still white covered this morning. But, It might have been a bit cleaner than other mornings. She also strained for a bit to poop as I was cleaning her up. Poop is moving through, so I guess that's a good thing. Should I give her more coconut oil today? Any other tips & tricks? Thanks!

Yesterday I did the coconut oil treatment again. I've noticed that when the coconut oil is in her system the poop slides out nicely. I feel like she's leaking a little less. Shes been a little more active this morning!

I was able to get about 1/2 tsp of oil in her by myself today. But she is still strainng to poop when the coconut oil has passed through her system, especially in the morning. I also noticed a little slit in her vent, most likely from straining😞 I did my normal a.m. clean up & dry off & put triple antibiotic (no pain relief) on her poor little vent.

Does this still sound consistent with constipation? I feel like I'm seeing some small positive results, but not sure if theres anything else I can do? Poop is still coming out, just sometimes it's easier than others.

Could this be some kind of infection?Would antibiotics help? I have tetracycline powder (prescribed to one of my adult birds...1/4 tsp per gal) and 500 mg amoxicillin capsules on hand.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!
-Megan

It's not possible to know what's going on inside this chick. I can't think of anything other than an obstructed digestive system. If you have the antibiotic, go ahead and use it. But keep up with the oil and massage.

It's not possible to know what's going on inside this chick. I can't think of anything other than an obstructed digestive system. If you have the antibiotic, go ahead and use it. But keep up with the oil and massage.
I totally understand we don't know what's happening on the inside. I'll continue with the oil & massage for a couple more days since I think I'm seeing some progress.

As far as antibiotics go, can I use the same tetracycline dose for a half pound chick as an adult hen? (Not sure if you know or can point me in the right direction). I read on this forum somewhere that amoxicillin goes by weight & can be mixed with coconut oil to administer.

Thanks for all your help. I just want to do what I can before I need to make any hard decisions😔

Back
Top Bottom