3 week old chick won't feather?

in town chicken farmer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Grand junction Colorado
i bought some chicks from murdoch's out of the ass. bantim bin and one of them only has 2 toes and two feathers on each wing. they are not very good looking feathers. all of the others are growing as to be exspected. what is up w/his developement is he always going to be small w/no feathers? i mean its been 3 weeks whats up???

Sounds like you have a chick with genetic defects. Some here would say, cull. Others would say, look at quality of life, whether it appears to be suffering. It would likely require separation from the flock to prosper, if it can, since chickens will attack a defective flock mate. Your choice.

balloons.gif
welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
that is horrible! with 2 toes???
barnie.gif

That fluff spreads pretty thin when the flesh grows under it. Maybe do a combover with those 4 feathers? Some of that spray on hair for vain old men?

He does not have a poor quality of life he seems to be very happy and healthy. no one picks on him.he is quite the crazy chick when i change the shavings he likes to role and dust himself all the other chicks look at him like hes crazy. he is very smart he sees an ant and eats it the others are like what is that hes like lets eat it! he is a survivor.
wink.png

Last edited:
Google chickens with no feathers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2000003.stm

Apparentely there are chickens with no feathers. They were bred for hot climates where they didn't want ot waste nutrients growing feathers.

If your little guy/gal dosen't grow any feathers, then you will have to protect him from the cold. You will also have a great conversation chicken.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom