3 week old chicks, mucous eyes

jenblossom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 19, 2011
I brought home four 3-week old Americauna chicks. I now know that they were sick when I bought them. One died during the first night. Now, two of them have eye problems. Chick #1 has an eye that is completely swollen shut. Chick #2 has one eye that is glazed over (looks blind) and the other eye secreting a yellow mucous. I have been wiping the eyes with a warm q-tip and I put tetracycline in their water (purchased at the feed store). I have neomycin eye drops (leftover from my cat) that I want to put into their eyes, but I don't want to overmedicate. Any information or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciate. I get way too attached to these little girls!

Last edited:
Do not put drops in their eyes---

When you finish with the tetra, if they still have respiratory issues, then find some Sulmet or Tylan.

Thank you for the response. This is my first batch of baby chicks. Hindsight, I realize that they were sick when I got them. I'm afraid that they are already blind in one eye. Is that typical for a respiratory issue?

Quote:
I disagree. Terramycin/duramyacin/XXXXmaketing names have been over-used to the point that many of the bacterium have grown resistant. ALso- since so many of the respiratory diseases are viruses, rather than bacterial, antibiotics will have no effect.

Hi Laree -

I didn't think that one of the chicks would last through the night but she pulled through. However, I am fairly certain that she is blind in both eyes. She seems more alert this morning and she is drinking. The other chick seems to be doing well, but lost one eye. This is horrible! I don't see any more discharge, but there is still a fowl odor from the eyes.

Do you recommend that I continue with the tetracycline or switch to the Sulmet or Tylan? Are those medicines sold at local feed stores?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I truly appreciate it. I called two vets yesterday, but neither had much experience with poultry. You have been a big help.

A foul odor is a good indicator of coryza. LareePQG is correct, treat with sulmet. Tylan may or may not help. Birds that recover will remain carriers and will spread the disease to other birds. You will have to permanently maintain a closed flock. You other option is to cull and disinfect everything. Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read about it if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I just read that section about being permanent carriers. I've got four Rhode Island Reds outdoors that I can't infect. Ummm, I need to face a harsh reality and would appreciate the input. Two of them are obviously sick and I don't have accommodations to keep them separate. Do I have any options other than what I'm thinking (and what I can't seem to vocalize?) What about the healthy one? Is she likely to be a carrier even though she isn't showing symptoms? Have you guys/gals had to deal with this and if so, what did you do?

Nevermind . . . . I just did more research and looked up the meaning of "cull." (You can stop laughing now . . . remember, I'm a new egg).

However, what about the healthy bird? Is it likely that she's a carrier?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom