Tips on how to care for a one-eyed chicken

HereForTheChicks

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
So this morning, my smallest chicken survived a hawk attack. She's 3 years old and I'm pretty sure she's now blind in her right eye, which I think is the eye that she used to see things up close. After being frozen for a few minutes, she started walking around. I threw her favorite food in front of her and she walked right over it. After walking around for 20 minutes, she found a place to sit down for a few hours (which she never did before). Then I carried her over to food and water she wouldn't have any.

Here's a pic of her injured eye. I think it's swollen with blood, because she's been keeping it mostly closed, and the healthy left eye has a much lighter iris color. The hawk got her in a few spots around her head, but on this side it's the spot right under her eye.

If anyone has tips on how to get her to eat and drink without seeing well, I'd really appreciate it!

Attachments

• P1020436.JPG
    P1020436.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 13
She is probably still somewhat in shock. Apply antibiotic ointment to the eye and give her time to recover. Very likely she will not lose that eye.

Back
Top Bottom