3 week old chicks.....

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
Hi everyone. I'm after some advice and comments regarding how to tell the difference between a male and female 3 week old chick.

I have a 6 week old chick which is being rehomed tomorrow, and have decided to send him off (he is definitely a 'he') with a little friend - one of my five (3 week old) chicks. They are already integrated with each other so no issues there.

I have to pick one out of the five chicks to go, and at this point I'm really not sure how to stack the odds in my favour. I am trying to grow my flock so I need pullets, whereas the home I am sending the chicks to want 2 cockerels for their 22 hens.

With the six week old chick, I knew he was a boy on Day 2! He stood up so high, just like his Daddy, and now has a very pink comb.

These little ones though, all look alike. Trust my luck they are all boys, lol.

So, do I go with the bigger comb? The yellower, but smaller comb? The bigger legs? The more upright stance? There is also one which seems to have less feathers than the others (not that they have many either), despite not having a big or bright yellow comb.

I know there are no guarantees, but how do you recommend I proceed with my selection?

Thanks in advance,

Krista

Well, I've just spent the last hour out in the coop and I simply can't get a clear shot of them. They just move too fast! That, coupled with the fact that Momma is fiercely guarding them, makes it impossible. How I am even going to catch one tomorrow is beyond me.

Can you tell me if there are any characteristics which you feel would trump others as far as what I should be looking for?

For example, would you get rid of a chick with a bigger comb or a yellower one?

Or would you get rid of a chick with an upright stance over one with a bigger comb?

It surprises me that the first one was so obvious, even though he was a sole chick, and now that I have 5 to pick from I can't tell, lol.

Krista

I've ended selecting the chick with the biggest comb. And his/her comb is quite a deep yellow colour. My 6 week old chick started out with a deep yellow comb too, so I'm hoping that bodes well.

This chick has fairly thick legs as well.

I selected it over a chick which had an upright stance, but no comb to speak of.

Fingers crossed the odds are in my favour.....

Krista

Back
Top Bottom