3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Hi I'm new here and saw this feed about a speckled Sussex... Well here's mine, I was hoping it was a hen... But this one stands up pretty straight these days. Any other thoughts just by looking at the pic?
How old is this bird? That comb is rather roo looking, ,and quite red! uggggggg!

MB

Hi I'm new here and saw this feed about a speckled Sussex... Well here's mine, I was hoping it was a hen... But this one stands up pretty straight these days. Any other thoughts just by looking at the pic?
If he's 7 weeks old, I'd be willing to bet he's a he. If you look back, you can see the same basic body shape as my Speckles had at almost that same age, and the comb is really pretty good sized on him. The comb size and color has barely changed on my pullet from 6 weeks until today, at 18 weeks, while my rooster's just kept growing and reddening. Now, that said, you also have to take into account that, like people, chickens all mature at different rates - even within the same breed sometimes, and there's also a genetics factor playing along to further confuse things. But honestly, my very first reaction was, "He's really got nice coloring!"

My speckled Sussex is just a two tone brown. No pretty markings. She is 15 weeks old. She's a nice little bird and likes to sit on my lap. I'm sure it's because she's hoping I have bread. She has no comb. Pretty much figure your's is a roo because it's to pretty. I call my little girl the ugly duckling of chickens. I say that in a loving way.

So I'm pretty sure Marcie is a Mark :/ s/he has been puffing up her neck feathers and squaring off with the big black/gold suspected rooster. Not just chest bumping, they circle around each other, jumping at each other and have both been making weird noises I'm assuming is going to be crowing... At 8 weeks old.

I am still waiting and watching about my SS bird. I am really thinking it's a roo, but at 11 weeks it still doesn't have that large of wattles. It's comb is still on the small side, but it is red.

I can't tell you how friendly it is and also how is allows me to pick it up, and even likes to be carried around. I have never had a bird so friendly.. I really hope this bird is a female. Would love to keep it for a long time... I am currently building a second flock and will have a second rooster, but a Speckled Sussex isn't what I had in mind. I am growing out 3 Swedish Flower Hens and I think one of them is a rooster.

Oh shucks!

MB

I am still waiting and watching about my SS bird.  I am really thinking it's a roo, but at 11 weeks it still doesn't have that large of wattles. It's comb is still on the small side, but it is red. 

I can't tell you how friendly it is and also how is allows me to pick it up, and even likes to be carried around.  I have never had a bird so friendly..  I really hope this bird is a female.  Would love to keep it for a long time... I am currently building a second flock and will have a second rooster, but a Speckled Sussex isn't what I had in mind.  I am growing out 3 Swedish Flower Hens and I think one of them is a rooster. 

Oh shucks!

MB

Hi MB, mine are about 8 weeks and the two I suspect are Roos are starting to make weird noises, they are also very protective. I'm not sure if this is normal bc these are my first chickens, the hens don't get involved in their nonsense. But if yours are 11weeks and you aren't seeing rooster like behavior you might be in the clear.

Any one want to comment on when roosters start acting like roosters? I could be way off

Hi MB, mine are about 8 weeks and the two I suspect are Roos are starting to make weird noises, they are also very protective. I'm not sure if this is normal bc these are my first chickens, the hens don't get involved in their nonsense. But if yours are 11weeks and you aren't seeing rooster like behavior you might be in the clear.

Any one want to comment on when roosters start acting like roosters? I could be way off
Very funny that you bring up the different noises. My SS is very talkative, always has been but I have noticed a strange lower clucking.. almost honking ish type of noise starting. It's behavior is subtle, nothing overtly masculine yet, but he does seem to overee everything, another hint to me towards roo. Funny that a rooster would be so overtly friendly to me. I have read stories about roos like this and perhaps if he could get along with the Swedish Flower roo he could earn a stay from exile but I want to keep only one roo in that coop/run so I know all the chicks I would try to hatch would be pure SFH. Anyway.. here is a photo from today...not the best, but they were all moving around so much.

MB

Back
Top Bottom