3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Pics
I want to say female
1f60a.png

WOW.. thank you so very much for these!!!!!!!! It really helps. This is one tricky breed to sex. From your pictures, I can really see the difference in the body shape that every one talks about. Your pullet has no comb to speak of at all! I swear I can only wait and see and hope. I love those speckles on your girl. Beautiful!

THank you!
MB
I'm so glad that it helped. The two of them are almost always close together...they are the only SS I have, and I wouldn't mind having more! My granddaughter named them "Speckles" and "Freckles". Not real imaginative, but it made her happy and that's what my life is about. Speckles is the roo. This was Speckles today at 18 weeks. He's a real gentleman.

WOW.. thank you so very much for these!!!!!!!! It really helps. This is one tricky breed to sex. From your pictures, I can really see the difference in the body shape that every one talks about. Your pullet has no comb to speak of at all! I swear I can only wait and see and hope. I love those speckles on your girl. Beautiful!

THank you!
MB
I'm so glad it was helpful to see them together and at different ages. "Speckles" is the roo, and "Freckles" is the pullet. Not very imaginative but my little granddaughter named them. It made her happy, and that's what I live for. Here is a better shot of Speckles taken today. Last one, I promise. They are my only SS, but I sure wouldn't mind having more of them!

Well, doggone it, double post! I thought the first one got lost in la-la land somewhere because it didn't show up, so I redid it. My apologies. If I knew how to delete one or the other I'd do that.

Well, doggone it, double post! I thought the first one got lost in la-la land somewhere because it didn't show up, so I redid it. My apologies. If I knew how to delete one or the other I'd do that.

No worries! Thanks for the second picture of the roo...They say the boys have a rounder body, and he so shows that! Quite the pretty pair. My SS is very inquisitive and friendly.

Love the names too!
MB

Sorry I am not sure how to post, so I am posting to this one. I was told my chickens were Buff Orpingtons when I bought them, as they have grown they look nothing like Buff Orps. they look a lot like Leghorns, my rooster could possibly be a cross with a leghorn , here is a pic of one of my girls and my rooster, tell what do you think. They are about 3 months old.

\
Hi CraterChick!

Welcome to BYC, so happy you joined, and posted about your chickens. I myself am no expert by any means, but I do know enough to let you know that these two beautiful birds are NOT Buff Orpingtons. Sorry that you were told that and sorry for the mistake. Great things about chickens is, they don't know what breed they are supposed to be, they are just as much a chicken as any other breed and I am sure that girl will give you lots of great eggs! The pullet looks like a leghorn to me, and perhaps the roo is a cross with a leghorn and perhaps a Buff O if the person you bought the chickens from did indeed have some of those. Perhaps you want to get back in touch with him and show him your pictures, clearly he will see that he sold you the wrong birds!

They look very healthy and I wish you luck with them!

hope to see you around!
MB

Hi I'm new here and saw this feed about a speckled Sussex... Well here's mine, I was hoping it was a hen... But this one stands up pretty straight these days. Any other thoughts just by looking at the pic?

These pics are so helpful and super cute! I can really see the 2 bodies types, long and round and the tail differences now that I have more to look at than just my 2. The little guy above has a shorter tail like one of mine who also has the same red comb, in a few months we will know for sure but Blooie's pic are great!

Sorry I am not sure how to post, so I am posting to this one. I was told my chickens were Buff Orpingtons when I bought them, as they have grown they look nothing like Buff Orps. they look a lot like Leghorns, my rooster could possibly be a cross with a leghorn , here is a pic of one of my girls and my rooster, tell what do you think. They are about 3 months old.

\
I can't help you with the first pic, but the second one looks almost exactly like our Charlie - who turned out to be a Red Sex Link roo. We got him in a shipment which contained Buff Orpingtons and Red Sex Links, and thought he was a BO because he was the same soft yellow, while the Red Sex Link chicks were yellow with buff or almost a reddish shade on their backs. As he matured, it was clear that Sweet Charlotte was an onery Charlie!

Charlie at 14 weeks

Charlie at 18 weeks

These were my SS at 6 weeks.....

And this was them taken today at 18 weeks. They are standing in the same positions they were in the first shot, roo on the left, pullet on the right. Sorry his head is blurry - he spotted a fly!

Blooie, that is almost exactly how my two looked last week! Now, the comb on the suspect boy is starting to even lay over, slightly. He also tried to take on a pullet twice his size.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom