3 week old true Ameraucana gender help

steph5253

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Martinez, Ca.
It is already looking like I have a lot of boys but I wanted to ask the professionals before I rehome them ;-) hope the pics are good enough, I was disturbing their slumber lol

Chick 1 blue ameraucana - roo :-(

Chick 2 blue ameraucana - only one I am pretty sure pullet

Chick 3 blue Ameraucana - roo

Chick 4 splash ameraucana - thinking roo bc comb looks pink

Chick 5 black ameraucana - not sure but with my luck prob a roo. Also looks a bit pink

So what do you think? I hope not four Roos out of five. :-/

Last edited:
Ameraucanas are very difficult to sex when young. I've had "surprise pullets" several times--in fact, my last clutch of BBS Ameraucanas I was *so sure* that I had 7 cockerels and 3 pullets, but at 18 weeks you could finally tell that I really had 3 cockerels and 7 pullets. I'm so glad I didn't cull young! Since then, I don't cull any Ameraucanas until I'm really really sure of their sex. I personally would hang on to these until they were at least 10 weeks old and/or you are SURE.

(Although chick #1 really does look male)

Thanks for your input, I was just thinking that I would hold on to them (except maybe chick number 1) for another month or two to be sure :)

The comb on chick number three is very similar to chick one so I am thinking he's a boy too but I will keep him until I have no reservations. Thanks!

#1 and #3 look like cockerels to me. #2 is probably a pullet. I'm not sure about #4 and #5, but I'm leaning towards cockerel for both of them.

So they're now 4 weeks old and some one wants to buy two ameraucana Roos today. I am pretty comfortable with chick number 1 being a boy but I wanted to post pics of chick number 3 again to see what you all think before I sell them.

Chick 1, roo getting pink in comb

Here is chick 2 for comparison, prob pullet

And here is chick 3, suspected roo and getting pink in comb

So what do you think now with chicks 1-3?
I will take some more of chicks 4-5 soon and post but I am waiting longer to sell them to be sure...

So they're now 4 weeks old and some one wants to buy two ameraucana Roos today. I am pretty comfortable with chick number 1 being a boy but I wanted to post pics of chick number 3 again to see what you all think before I sell them.

Chick 1, roo getting pink in comb

Here is chick 2 for comparison, prob pullet

And here is chick 3, suspected roo and getting pink in comb

So what do you think now with chicks 1-3?
I will take some more of chicks 4-5 soon and post but I am waiting longer to sell them to be sure...

Chick # 3 looks like a cockerel

Look how he stands!

Last edited:
Hi this is gramma Bonnie. Read my thread, someone just told me the opposite. Pink comb girls, red right away are boys. Will be interesting to see if one is right or both. Good luck. I have several diff breeds of chicks, only two alike. Only my black copper maran is developing a red comb. Hope this is true.

Back
Top Bottom