3 week old true Ameraucana gender help

steph5253

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Martinez, Ca.
It is already looking like I have a lot of boys but I wanted to ask the professionals before I rehome them ;-) hope the pics are good enough, I was disturbing their slumber lol

Chick 1 blue ameraucana - roo :-(

Chick 2 blue ameraucana - only one I am pretty sure pullet

Chick 3 blue Ameraucana - roo

Chick 4 splash ameraucana - thinking roo bc comb looks pink

Chick 5 black ameraucana - not sure but with my luck prob a roo. Also looks a bit pink

So what do you think? I hope not four Roos out of five. :-/

Last edited:
So they're now 4 weeks old and some one wants to buy two ameraucana Roos today. I am pretty comfortable with chick number 1 being a boy but I wanted to post pics of chick number 3 again to see what you all think before I sell them.

Chick 1, roo getting pink in comb

Here is chick 2 for comparison, prob pullet

And here is chick 3, suspected roo and getting pink in comb

So what do you think now with chicks 1-3?
I will take some more of chicks 4-5 soon and post but I am waiting longer to sell them to be sure...

Chick # 3 looks like a cockerel

Look how he stands!

Last edited:
Ameraucanas are very difficult to sex when young. I've had "surprise pullets" several times--in fact, my last clutch of BBS Ameraucanas I was *so sure* that I had 7 cockerels and 3 pullets, but at 18 weeks you could finally tell that I really had 3 cockerels and 7 pullets. I'm so glad I didn't cull young! Since then, I don't cull any Ameraucanas until I'm really really sure of their sex. I personally would hang on to these until they were at least 10 weeks old and/or you are SURE.

(Although chick #1 really does look male)

Thanks for your input, I was just thinking that I would hold on to them (except maybe chick number 1) for another month or two to be sure :)

The comb on chick number three is very similar to chick one so I am thinking he's a boy too but I will keep him until I have no reservations. Thanks!

#1 and #3 look like cockerels to me. #2 is probably a pullet. I'm not sure about #4 and #5, but I'm leaning towards cockerel for both of them.

I decided to just hold on to them a bit longer. Though I don't see chicks 1 and 3 being pullets ever lol they have had major comb development, with thread pea rows, and they are turnin pink already.

Back
Top Bottom