3 week olds, 2 week olds, and 2 day olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, May 6, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Can they be together. I am concerned since I know bigger ones will pick on little ones sometimes. My two 3-week-olds are not pickers at all, very docile SLWs. The 2-week-old SS chicks pick a bit at the bigger ones fluff but never serious picking. I've heard you can do a 2 week split safely usually. It's just I have 18 eggs ready to hatch in the bator and these 8 older chicks occupying the house brooder. It's too chilly and damp to kick the chicks out to the garage brooder just yet and I'd rather not have to build a second house brooder if possible. So, what is the verdict? Anyone think it will be OK?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You won't know til you try. I would probably try it, gradually, but I've never done it.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I just moved everybody around here so i could put the newly hatched in a separate brooder. I would worry about the bigger chicks stepping on the new ones. I have 1 week old separated from the new ones as they are stronger and could push the weaker ones away from heat and food and water. If you cna't build anothr brooder get a large box and use that I go to the furniture stores here and keep washer or refrigerator boxes handy just in case. A refrigerator box makes a great brooder for older chicks that are starting to get their wings.lol

4. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Might be moot. I think I may have killed my hatch!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (post in Incubating and hatching forum)

If by some miracle they survive my mistake then I will probably try adding them to the current brooder and just watching them to see how they do. If I have to I will make brooder #2 for the house. I just don't have a lot of room for keeping brooders and DH is fed up with having no living room (the only place with space for a couple of brooders).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by