3 WK duckling weak--doesn't look well

chickiedoodle

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
We have 3 three week old khaki campbell ducklings who have seemed fine and healthy until today. The drake seems weak--kinda wobbles a bit and doesn't seem to have much pep. He is drinking and eating a little, though not as much as the others. He seems to hang back and let the others eat, then kind of picks at the left overs. We are feeding them non-medicated chick start and grow, along with lettuce and occasionally yogurt. We have him in a separate box with water and food, but this is our first step into the world of birds and we have no idea what to do. If anyone has any idea what we should do, please let us know.

Try sprinkling brewers yeast on his feed. Is is "crop" full as if he has been eating shavings? Is he cold?
The only time I have had a shaky duck is when I accidentally bought medicated feed and didn't notice til later.

I assume brewers yeast is different from baking yeast--but can I still get it at a regular store? I don't really feel anything different on him than on the other ducks, is a full crop very noticeable? We have them in a heated studio adjacent to our house but it did get colder Wed. night than it has been and he did seem to be reluctant to leave the brooder lamp. Now he is in our bathroom with more heat. I gave him some sugar water last night and he seems maybe a little better this morning, but maybe it is wishful thinking.

Thanks for your help, he seems to be doing much better now. Gave him the brewers yeast and increased the greens. I don't know if he was really sick or just cold or what. At any rate, he has slowly come back to his perky old self.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom