3 year old EE hen, watery jiggly round mass near back end

Now that she's passed the egg, observe her behavior to see if she bounces back to normal. It's possible a second egg is close behind this one. Two back to back eggs often is the cause for egg binding.

If she's still lethargic and squatting or standing weird, it's further evidence of a second egg.

You didn't answer my question about her swelling. Please do so. It will point us in the right direction to help
Her behavior since laying the egg this morning seems pretty normal. Eating, drinking, walking, alert. When I feel back where the swelling was last night (in the back and to the right of her vent, behind the leg) I don't feel it to be like a water balloon in just one spot anymore. Could her whole back under area below the vent and between the back legs be squishy due to being overweight? Could that one area have seemed particular water baloony due to the egg formulating? It feels similar in my other hens too, just more pronounced in the gray EE. I'm starting to wonder if her waddling is also due to a weight issue.

Thank you.

A swelling with water balloon consistency just behind the legs and under the vent can be from EYP, a very serious reproductive infection. But usually, the hen will act sick, not normal.

Ascites will be a similar water balloon consistency but is in front of and between the legs, and you will usually see a waddling gait and the legs will be pushed apart by ten inches. The treatment for EYP is a strong antibiotic, while no cure exists for ascites other than draining to impart more comfort during the months the chicken has left to live.

It's a very good sign this hen is acting normally after passing her egg. Continue the calcium for one more day to be sure.

If you determine its fat below her vent, fat in that area can eventually lead to fatty liver disease so if you can reduce her weight, she will live longer.

Back
Top Bottom