3-year old Embden goose not laying this year

Gooseypoo

Chirping
Feb 1, 2019
We have 2 Embden geese that we raised from hatchlings three years ago. Last year they both gave me lots of eggs--about 5 per week from each of them! This year the stouter of the two laid eggs pretty regularly, but the smaller of the two did either infrequently or not at all (hard to tell who laid what, but there was only ever one egg in their stall at a time except for a couple of occasions). Since they started molting a few weeks ago neither one is laying at all any more.

Any idea what would stop a young goose from laying eggs?

For some background (if it helps):

They live outside and have free range of our property all summer with 3 ducks and 9 chickens. Plenty of grass to eat. In the winter and early spring (so they don't eat our spring bulbs) they are confined to an outdoor pen with the ducks. They live in their own securely closed stall in our small barn. As long as the weather is not freezing temperatures, they all have a small kiddie pool to bathe in (nowadays it's a cement mixing tray since somebody broke the pool).

They are fed Purina full flock pellets with brewer's yeast added for supplementation. --I don't think they had the yeast supplement all winter, so maybe this is a factor? They get free-choice egg shells nearly every day to supplement calcium, which neither have been interested in lately and only one was interested in before molting.

Any ideas what's going on? Or what I can do?

We have 2 Embden geese that we raised from hatchlings three years ago. Last year they both gave me lots of eggs--about 5 per week from each of them! This year the stouter of the two laid eggs pretty regularly, but the smaller of the two did either infrequently or not at all (hard to tell who laid what, but there was only ever one egg in their stall at a time except for a couple of occasions). Since they started molting a few weeks ago neither one is laying at all any more.

Any idea what would stop a young goose from laying eggs?

For some background (if it helps):

They live outside and have free range of our property all summer with 3 ducks and 9 chickens. Plenty of grass to eat. In the winter and early spring (so they don't eat our spring bulbs) they are confined to an outdoor pen with the ducks. They live in their own securely closed stall in our small barn. As long as the weather is not freezing temperatures, they all have a small kiddie pool to bathe in (nowadays it's a cement mixing tray since somebody broke the pool).

They are fed Purina full flock pellets with brewer's yeast added for supplementation. --I don't think they had the yeast supplement all winter, so maybe this is a factor? They get free-choice egg shells nearly every day to supplement calcium, which neither have been interested in lately and only one was interested in before molting.

Any ideas what's going on? Or what I can do?
My guess is either age or a health issue.

Did you check for parasites?

Geese stop laying generally by the time they start molting, or if they’ve gone broody.

Parasites like worms or coccidia can cause a bird to stop laying as can a nutrient deficiency.
Another problem could be a reproductive illness like infection, internal laying, impaction, or an issue like kidney disease or aflatoxin exposure.
Whatever it is if it’s causinG her body to not go through it’s natural cycles it’s serious.

You could try giving her oyster shell to really boost her calcium along with more vitamins and minerals but now that she’s molting she probably won’t start laying again until winter/spring and she won’t have a huge interest in oyster shell until she needs them. Because she’s molting she may need just a little extra nutrients right now to keep her body in the best shape especially if somethings going on with her.
In the mean time really watch her I guess, keep note on what her droppings look like, if they’re really watery and loose it can be a sign of an ongoing health issue.

I should add, geese generally are more resistant to worms than many other species, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t get them, they can get coccidia from eating slugs and worms too.

Back
Top Bottom