3 year old hens, will they be good to eat

Graey

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
I have 3 year old hens, dual purpose, rir, astro, and others, i want to butcher and sell them, my question is this: will the meat be terrible? I have heard theyd be fine and others tell me its not ok... I dont want these hens to ruin my reputation for meat, so is it worth the butcher, will they be ok, i have neeb fattening them up with bread and corn for a few weeks, please any one who has actually tasted hens of this age and have this experience please let me know whats what, im very conflicted, thank you so much,
Pat

Last edited:
It depends on who you are selling them to, what they expect, and how much experience they have. Older chickens can be cooked, but not by the same methods you cook the younger birds. They have to be cooked long, slow, and moist.

Will they ruin your reputation for meat? If the people getting them know they are old birds and know how to handle that, you'll be fine. If they think they do but really don't, you have a problem. If they don't understand cooking older birds at all, you have a huge problem.

Quote:
Thanks for the input... I agree they should be educated on how to cook them, do you know any web sites on this, good ones that is?

Back
Top Bottom