3 YEAR OLD RIR not eatting feels like a full belly of water no hard masses not laying.

Penguinsofty55

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
My hen is acting normal sitting with her sisters. She was up and around today like normal. I did notice a slight bluish tinge to her comb on the back and it is folding instead of standing. Haven't seen her poop. Her crop was empty when I checked her just now. Bluish Ness on comb seems to come and go. This has come on in I think the last 4ish days. Before she was laying normal eggs. The belly is not distended or hot just feels full and heavy. I cannot feel an egg just water. I started them on corrid yesterday because her sister seems to have diarrhea and was sitting alone. She was better today back to normal. This hen that I am talking about was not injured by the dog attacks that happened in March. And does not have diarrhea like the other one

A bluish comb typically means lack of oxygen, but my hen had it with egg yolk peritonitis. Did she stop laying? The heaviness combined with the bluish comb could be ascites, which could be from almost anything. Can you determine if she’s laying? Putting food coloring on her vent can help with that f(she’d leave some on the egg).

I suspect a laying disorder, organ issue or cancer, but that isn’t really helpful at all. You could try to treat symptoms, but us an avian vet available?

A bluish comb typically means lack of oxygen, but my hen had it with egg yolk peritonitis. Did she stop laying? The heaviness combined with the bluish comb could be ascites, which could be from almost anything. Can you determine if she’s laying? Putting food coloring on her vent can help with that f(she’d leave some on the egg).

I suspect a laying disorder, organ issue or cancer, but that isn’t really helpful at all. You could try to treat symptoms, but us an avian vet available?
No there is not one here. I suspected the same after looking up the symptoms. No she is not laying. She was the only one that was. The others are still traumatized by a dog attack that happend in March. Her feathers have changed color to. Going from red to a pale golden color that happens pretty suddenly.

Is her comb pale or just bluish? When did she last molt? It’s not going to cure anything, but a nice high-iron treat like beef liver might perk her up while you’re figuring out what to do. If you were to try to “treat” her, you wouldn’t even kniw what you were treating. Can you find out what her poop looks like? And her behavior is back to normal?

Is her comb pale or just bluish? When did she last molt? It’s not going to cure anything, but a nice high-iron treat like beef liver might perk her up while you’re figuring out what to do. If you were to try to “treat” her, you wouldn’t even kniw what you were treating. Can you find out what her poop looks like? And her behavior is back to normal?
Her behavior is normal except today she must not have eaten her crop was empty. I'll get some photos in the morning. They multed last fall in November. I'll try the liver. I know chickens hid there symptoms. But she isn't hunched or fluffed or being alone or avoiding me. She was talking to me just like her siblings. She let me squeeze her belly without freaking out or acting in pain. I'll do a full photo exam tomorrow. My gut tells me it's probably hereditary in this strain of hatchery rir.

Her behavior is normal except today she must not have eaten her crop was empty. I'll get some photos in the morning. They multed last fall in November. I'll try the liver. I know chickens hid there symptoms. But she isn't hunched or fluffed or being alone or avoiding me. She was talking to me just like her siblings. She let me squeeze her belly without freaking out or acting in pain. I'll do a full photo exam tomorrow. My gut tells me it's probably hereditary in this strain of hatchery rir.
Her comb is bluish on one end, the end that is folding over. It seems like a circulation problem

Going to get a bit more photos tonight her vent looks like it's taught and small not the loose normal relaxed look.

Back
Top Bottom