Hen with possible water belly / reproductive issues

allison_waring

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Central Vermont
Hi Everyone, I have an almost 2 year old golden comment hen that's been struggling with what I think is some type of reproductive disorder. She hasn't laid an egg in nearly a year. I was hopeful she would start laying again after her winter pause but she hasn't. She also has what I think is water belly as a result of these internal issues. She waddles much more than her sisters and spends more time than normal resting in the corner of the run in a somewhat puffed up stance. She seems to put more effort into breathing (really having to use her whole body) and when I feel her abdomen it feels more firm or full than her sisters. Her poop is smaller than what I would consider normal and tinged green even when they're not eating any green foods.

Despite all this she still has an interest in eating and gets excited for snacks. I hardly ever see her drink from the waterer though, so I've been wetting down their food once a day to make sure she gets some water intake.

My questions are...Should I attempt to drain her abdomen to give her some relief if it is water belly? Is there anything else I can try to lessen her symptoms? I know I probably won't know exactly what is wrong with her until she passes and we do a necropsy, but I'd like to gather some more insight into if there are ways I can make her more comfortable and/or how much longer I should let her live out her life.

Short video of her waddle:

Attachments

• 20240327_175038.jpg
    20240327_175038.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240327_174451.jpg
    20240327_174451.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240327_174430.jpg
    20240327_174430.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 7
Oh and I probably should have mentioned that this waddle, depressed activity, and the small poops have been going on for a couple of months now. It definitely hasn't been a sudden onset but more of a gradual progression over time.

Back
Top Bottom