3 year old Rooster - curious of breed

MrsWinterWheat

Songster
May 15, 2024
Southern Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi!
We received this rooster as a chick 3 years ago, it was in a mixed group from a family member.
At that time I didn’t really care what breed they were but this group has me wondering. Also when he was younger he had more darker feathers (last photo), now he just have a few on his body and one in his tail.

Anyone want to take a crack at what breed he might be?

Attachments

• IMG_4488.jpeg
    IMG_4488.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4491.jpeg
    IMG_4491.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4494.jpeg
    IMG_4494.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8326.jpeg
    IMG_8326.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Would his legs change color that much too?
I was just looking at that too! I think that is weird...

He is the only rooster over the last 3 years that had any amount of white on him...we had a total of 4 roosters over that time but the others were all dark with not even a hint of white on them.
If it wasn't for that I would really think he was a different bird.

I was just looking at that too! I think that is weird...

He is the only rooster over the last 3 years that had any amount of white on him...we had a total of 4 roosters over that time but the others were all dark with not even a hint of white on them.
If it wasn't for that I would really think he was a different bird.
Oh wow!! That is so strange!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. I know sometimes hens legs will go paler when laying but never seen it with a rooster. Interesting!

Would his legs change color that much too?
I'm not sure how blue genes or two copies which make splash might also affect melanin production in the skin.. but I suspect it may.. with some supporting experiential evidence..

I did notice the legs and I've not personally seen that drastic of change but also don't keep my birds around too long before they're replaced out. Since lots of things can change with age, I wouldn't put it beyond possibility.

I'm not truly surprised that it molted into being more white.. all mottled type birds (using the term loosely) do, that I've seen. It's just interesting there's ALMOST no evidence of the original color.

:pop

I'm not sure how blue genes or two copies which make splash might also affect melanin production in the skin.. but I suspect it may.. with some supporting experiential evidence..

I did notice the legs and I've not personally seen that drastic of change but also don't keep my birds around too long before they're replaced out. Since lots of things can change with age, I wouldn't put it beyond possibility.

I'm not truly surprised that it molted into being more white.. all mottled type birds (using the term loosely) do, that I've seen. It's just interesting there's ALMOST no evidence of the original color.

:pop

I found some videos of him over the years and it seems that his legs got lighter....let me see if I can get a screenshot or some still photos.

I found this one from last November…hard to see his legs but he doesn’t have a little more splash on him…
So interesting!!!

I was looking back in my photos and I managed to find the photo I took of the post the seller had when she was selling him as a chick. She had labelled them as BBS Ameraucana. But his face isn’t fluffy…

Attachments

• IMG_6629.jpeg
    IMG_6629.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom