30 days old chick half-swallowed a long straw

AnnaGreece

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Hallo everybody,
I really need your help, as I am new to backyard poultry.

I have some 30 days old chicks. Today I changed the straw bed I use on the bottom of their coop. About one hour later I noticed that one chick (little rooster), had swallowed a long straw and a part of it remained out of his beak.
I tried gently enough to pull it out, but it was impossible.
So I decided to cut it off as much as I could, hoping that he will be able to digest it.
After that, I didn't see him eating or drinking, as long as I was nearby.

A while ago, I went to check the little chicks, and I saw a chick having a straw out of its beak (again), while another one was peeking and pulling the straw, not being able to get it. The chick with the straw was sitting calmly, as it was sleeping time.

I don't know if it is the same chick, or two different chicks that swallowed a long straw.
I 'll check it in the morning, but I think they are two different chicks.

I have to note that I use straw for bedding, since last week. No problem with it the whole last week.

Do you have any opinion to what should I do? Does anyone have had a similar problem?

Thank you in advance.

You can solve this problem with a 2 step process.

Step 1: take ahold of the stram with your thumb& forefinger.

Step 2: Pull the straw out.

Thank you for the answer, but as I described on my previous post, I can't pull it off.
It is stuck somewhere, and when I 'm trying to pull it, I can feel the chick's crop moving.

I have had this only with older chickens and it is very hard to pull out straw or anything else out of birds but it can be dune sometimes
smile.png

I normally do not let chicks in straw unless they are with their mother ...
hmm.png

keep an eye on them and keep us updated please
cool.png

Thank you for the reply, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one in the world with this problem. As I 'm new to this, I panicked.

This morning in the coop, everything seemed normal. The little rooster was walking around, and in the afternoon I saw him eating. I want to believe that he is ok, and there has been no damage to his crop. If he makes it the next few days, I will be sure that everything is fine.

Thank you for the reply, it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one in the world with this problem. As I 'm new to this, I panicked.

This morning in the coop, everything seemed normal. The little rooster was walking around, and in the afternoon I saw him eating. I want to believe that he is ok, and there has been no damage to his crop. If he makes it the next few days, I will be sure that everything is fine.

Oh no you are not the only person with this problem
wink.png

Yes I would defiantly keep an eye on him and make sure he eats and drinks
smile.png

This is good for watering a chicken who wont drink
and could be used for well ground up chick starter
cool.png

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't know about this syringe.
I saw some video about how to use it, after your post gander007.
Thank you for the information.
smile.png

Today I fed the little chick from my hand some boiled egg. He ate enough to make me happy!

Wow! I didn't know about this syringe.
I saw some video about how to use it, after your post gander007.
Thank you for the information.
smile.png

Today I fed the little chick from my hand some boiled egg. He ate enough to make me happy!

Great to know I was of some help to you
thumbsup.gif

This is how I keep my chicks
jumpy.gif

The floor is screen and the paper was put down to reflect
light to lighten up the photo
cool.png

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom