30 week RIR not laying yet--something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryanhodapp, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    My 30 week old RIR has not laid an egg yet.
    Is something wrong with her?
    Are there chickens that are infertile?
    My first year and know I am worried about her health more than getting the egg.
    I add light last week.

any help is appreciated

2. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    Hi, not to worry some just take longer to lay. The only breeds that really lay at 18 to 20 wks are sex links and amberlinks. Most of the rest take a while. I have a bantam cochin and a bantam polish that are 32 and 36 wks and they probably wont lay for awhile still. Some of the breeder quality birds can take up to a year to lay, but that is rare. Not to mention they molt at this time of year as well and wont lay while molting. I have some that are molting but I have only seen them lose one or two feathers.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Thanks, I just dont want her to get all bound up.
    I went out this morning and felt around her bottom, I didnt feel anything hard.

I will keep waiting, she is the queen chicken and the most personality.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:Now you tell me....I got some bantam cochins in February and they are showing no signs of laying anytime soon. [​IMG]

5. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    To alleviate the insatiable urge to check for my first egg again and again, I am in the process of charting the breeds and dates of first lay from the first egg pics thread. So far the RIRs range from 16-27 weeks for first eggs with most of them starting about 22 weeks. So 30 weeks isn't that far beyond what others have seen. Not to mention the ones people post on that thread are from their first chicken to lay an egg, so there must be loads that lay later than that. Maybe we need to start a last to lay thread [​IMG]

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Keep in mind Heritage Reds will take a lot longer than Production Reds too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by