33% hatch rate.........What happened?????

What were your temp and humidity at, and what breed where the eggs? Where they local pickups, or did you have them shipped? There are so many variables, and sometimes they just don't hatch!

we kept the temp at 99 but there were a few times it got above 100 and as far as the humidity we don't know. Did not have a gauge to check that.
We had mixed breeds: 4 banty, 12 mixed standard chickens and 12 Jersey Giants. 1 banty, 3 mixed and 1 Jersey made it. All the eggs were local.

Did you open the remaining eggs to see how far they were? IDK, there are so many things that can change the hatch rate. If they were too hot/cold during storage, stored too long, or not turned properly during storage it could affect them as well. What kind of incubator did you use? I would deffinitely get a hygrometer before setting more, that can make a huge difference. Walmart has some around $6.

no, they are still in the bator. 3 of the eggs cracked Sunday, but nothing else. We did have one on Saturday punch a hole in the egg and we could see it and hear it peepping, but a few hours later it was dead.

Where'd you get the eggs? Were they yours or were they shipped to you? I know the hatch rates are just all over the place with shipped eggs.
hmm.png

I would say that since some pipped and died it would most likely be a humidity problem, but it is really hard to say. Just be sure and get a hygrometer before you set more, and they should have better luck.

Age of the eggs and breeding stock and health are also factors. Too many unknowns for us to advise.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom