36 hours into pip & no progress

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by khawks, Nov 17, 2014.

1. khawks

khawks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    5 eggs pipped externally and 4 hatched within 24 hours. I am more than positive the one going on 36 hours pipped externally is dead. It poked its beak through within the first 6 hours and after 24 hours of no progress, I pulled away a bit at the shell. usually I can see the chick moving inside the egg at this point, but I have seen no movement what-so-ever.

Do you think I should give it some more time, or just consider it dead?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I would take some tweezers and gently open the pip hole and see what's going on. It'll give you a better idea of what the problem is if there is any or confirm he didn't make it. If he's still alive and you are comfortable with it, he may need a little help.

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    It's probably passed by this time. I help them if they pip and don't make any progress within 12 hours. I usually just make sure the air hole is sufficient and that they are not glued in the shell. I leave them to see if they can finish up and if they can't by 24 hours I definatly help them out.

4. khawks

khawks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    I did end up pulling it out. usually if you touch the beak where it has pipped, then the chick will move inside and make noise. I actually did have another that was stuck after it pipped for 24 hours. I could see that the embryo mucus was dried to the chick's eye so I ended up pulling the top of the egg of so that I could get free. It seems to be doing fine now and is drying off, but it appears to have this large lump at the top of its head. hopefully its just lke humans that get stuck in the birth canal too long and end up having a cone head for a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by