37 eggs in lockdown, but half seem underdeveloped.

I have heard of some chicks hatching as much as a week later than their buddies in the incubator. The recommendation in the hatching groups I'm in is to water candle any remaining eggs when you finally remove your hatched chicks, and keep any still-living ones in the incubator up to day 28. Doing the water candling first helps to greatly reduce the risk of any exploding eggs.

Is your incubator still air or forced air(fan) With still air the outside edges can be much cooler. I currently have a fan but still find the edges to be cooler, so I rotate eggs. You may not want to put eggs directly under the heater. They can get to hot. Be patient with the eggs from the edges. They may be fine, but hatch a couple days later.
It is a still air. The eggs that were in the center seem to be whats hatching first. I did rotate the eggs to the outside when i put them in lockdown, but i may rotate them during incubation next time. ALL the air cells were small, just some better than most. One of the smallest air cell ones hatched. The cell didnt grow hardly at all since the 14 day candle by lockdown time, but i candled when i heard peeping and all the air cells grew tremendously on day 19-20. I won't stress so much on air cell size next time. Proof that im having perfect hatches with very small air cells. They can and will (in my case) shrink to what they need to be on their own time.

When I ran my incubator still air I manually rolled making it easy to rotate multiple times a day. I have since added a Turner and fan. I now rotate about every other day.

So far the chick is black with a white under beak. The EExBR chick is grey and silver. Its really pretty. One EExEE chick is cream color, and the other is black with golding around face and wings. Those two are still fresh and wet though to see good.
Anymore pipping?

When I ran my incubator still air I manually rolled making it easy to rotate multiple times a day. I have since added a Turner and fan. I now rotate about every other day.
I do have an automatic turner, but i loke the idea of rotating the eggs from outside to inside so they all get more equal heat.

Back
Top Bottom