3D Modeling for Coops (& appliances)

If you have the open front, and side windows and they are open, you run the chance of rain or snow blowing in. Also, if you leave food and water inside, those could drop down onto the floor, which is why I was thinking treated plywood. So another option for the floor would be 5/4 treated deck lumber, which if installed with narrow cracks would let water filter on through and remain mostly dry below any litter.

Also, on the scratch shed, consider making the whole front of it hinged at the top to open up and out so you can clean the inside. If the front hinged up, you could reach in with a garden rake and drag out everything on the floor?

Last edited:
Sorry......a bit distracted........as I was sitting here typing, noticed movement outside and looked up to see a bald eagle flapping by.......treetop height. Quick mental check...........yes, birds still inside, so no worries........keep typing.

...... consider making the whole front of it hinged at the top to open up and out so you can clean the inside. If the front hinged up, you could reach in with a garden rake and drag out everything on the floor?
Good idea for cleaning access.

One deficit to small coops is being able to grab a bird off the roost if you need to,
and most all of us sometimes need to do that.

I certainly envisioned that I'd want a way to swing the front of the coop open for cleaning and access. Just never settled on a method, and didn't include anything in the design.

With regards to 3/4" plywood, I'd probably go with 1/2" myself. You could use different thicknesses for different parts of the coop too.

@ScottandSam will have some issues to resolve when building. On the current model, the 48" wide plywood for the top does not extend past the plywood walls. Either need to add a couple inches width to the top, or narrow the whole coop by a couple inches. That would involve re-measuring every horizontal piece of the coop. I think the easiest solution would be to use strips of 1x4 along the top posts, extending out 2 inches over the walls, and nailing the plywood roof to those. But that idea may well be due to my lack of experience with construction work.

Sketch up is the best. I used it to draw plans for my house!
Thank you Wesleybeal for the work on the model.

Thanks!

I would love to see the group put together models of not just coops, but other accessories people can make themselves (feeders, nests, and the like), and make them available for the community to use.

It doesn't take much to learn how to examine models in SketchUp, move pieces around, and what-have-you. Much less time than it takes to learn how to design something in SketchUp.

Having a model you can look at and manipulate, even when you don't have the skill to create such a model yourself, makes building something much, much easier. You can see what you need, how things go together, and how they work.

Thanks!

I would love to see the group put together models of not just coops, but other accessories people can make themselves (feeders, nests, and the like), and make them available for the community to use.

It doesn't take much to learn how to examine models in SketchUp, move pieces around, and what-have-you. Much less time than it takes to learn how to design something in SketchUp.

Having a model you can look at and manipulate, even when you don't have the skill to create such a model yourself, makes building something much, much easier. You can see what you need, how things go together, and how they work.

This would be awesome, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out but after about an hour poking around in sketchup I went back to maya lol. However, I can export any models that I make from maya to formats compatible with sketchbook and still be able to add them into a model warehouse, especially if there was a singular location that all models could be uploaded to (with a sample view so people know what each model is and they could see what it looks like?)

At least, I think thats what you're getting at?

Last edited:
This would be awesome, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out but after about an hour poking around in sketchup I went back to maya lol. However, I can export any models that I make from maya to formats compatible with sketchbook and still be able to add them into a model warehouse, especially if there was a singular location that all models could be uploaded to (with a sample view so people know what each model is and they could see what it looks like?)

At least, I think thats what you're getting at?

Yep, that's what I'm getting at.

I don't believe that SketchUp's 3D warehouse is so cool that anyone could load models into a "BYC Model Collection," but people can create collections, and so someone could have them there. More easily pulled off, a forum (or in the interim, a thread within a forum) could be created that lists models as they're created.

A sub-forum of the "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance" forum.

Yep, that's what I'm getting at.

I don't believe that SketchUp's 3D warehouse is so cool that anyone could load models into a "BYC Model Collection," but people can create collections, and so someone could have them there. More easily pulled off, a forum (or in the interim, a thread within a forum) could be created that lists models as they're created.

A sub-forum of the "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance" forum.

That wouldn't be terrible at all, I'm trying to also remember a cloud based upload site (similar to drop box) with a model viewer that could be used by BYC? Either way though, I'd definitely like to contribute some stuff when I can. There are a few accessories I see on Pinterest that I'm planning on seeing to my run that I'll probably model out after I model the coop itself. Anything I make for myself I'll go ahead and add a link to for people for sure.

I just wish I could figure out sketchup. I took off the roof and opps there are no rafters. I had to load on my son's machine my laptop graphix were not up to par. I'm currently looking for graph paper.

Scott

I just wish I could figure out sketchup. I took off the roof and opps there are no rafters. I had to load on my son's machine my laptop graphix were not up to par. I'm currently looking for graph paper.

Scott
There's definitely a steep learning curve, even if you're a 3D cadd user.

Back
Top Bottom