3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarryPQ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I find the opposite to be true about ameraucanas [​IMG] I've had some pretty destroyed eggs come and the ameraucanas always seem to develope first no matter how badly they were handled and they seem to hatch first for me too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They are my favorite birds though so maybe I am biased [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think last year, my first three out were, Icelandic, Icelandic, Ameraucana. or that may have been the Easter Hatch!

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Yes yes I am getting to adding it. I'm usually up at 430 and on weekends like to go back to bed for a bit after I let the babies out. It will be added to the contests soon. I also have to find a photo for my contest that starts tomorrow.

LOL no worries. You are like me.. I am up at 345 or 4 every morning like a crazy person. And it's not like I'll win it - last year I think three chicks came out before midnight and the rest waited until like 8AM. Or later, can't remember. But I wasn't even close to first. [​IMG]

Sane people don't get up that early? Hm... never thought that would be the reason I was not sane.

And sorry, I'm grumpy. I've been lacking sleep this past week, then fall into a wonderful deep sleep after I let them out at 6. Then the phone rings. Then I try to go back to bed, and I'm up. And mad. And then I start thinking about where my eggs are... yeah, tracking says this batch is in Scarborough now. Probably Bangor later today, repeat of last time. ARGH! So I'm a tad touchy this morning.

Still have to clean the coop out before the big snow starts because after that it won't get cleaned until Spring... that's on my agenda for today. Guess I'd better go do that now. That's the only con I can think of to having a gigantic coop.

5. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We clean every other week in my 8X10... to keep the boys busy.

We set it so that cleaning week wouldn't land on Christmas weekend.

Roos are crowing, but I'm going to let them forage for a while and clean up everything in the run.
    That should discourage all of the sparrows etc... that come to my yard for food.

It is DANG cold out there. 34.7 degrees in my backyard at present. So far none of my peppers or tomatoes have frozen!

[​IMG]

6. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So Meg and Laree.... on those bargain EE eggs. Look for an "L"... they are 'purebred' Lavenders from bargain... I think I kept one too.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Maybe if I had kids that would work, but it's just me so I only clean twice a year. It's amazing how clean the shavings looked when I took them out at the beginning of November.. Should have waited a bit though since we've been so warm.. As for cold, it's 30 outside here, 16 planned for tonight. [​IMG] (and for those of you breaking out your heat lamps, even my 8 week olds are just fine outside, no heat YAY).

8. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    Got my Rockin paints eggs yesterday. 11 BBS Ameraucana, 5 Golden Cuckoo Marans, 5 Lemon Cuckoo Orps [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I will have to take a count of how many of my eggs I am going to throw in with them and fill out the entry form. My turner can hold 42, plus about 6 setting off the turner, How many eggs can a Hova-bator turner handle? [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With stacking I've put 60 in my Genesis 1588 with the turner.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I just got home from work and it is 20 degrees here! TWENTY COLD DEGREES! I am freezin'! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by