3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarryPQ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am so relieved my recipients got the eggs I sent.

I'll be setting all my eggs a bit late, because I have to meet a co-worker with a van down the hill at the rental property; he's going to help me unload the old shed there and whatever else we can fit into his fan and the back of my RAV4. We'll unload and I have to give him the grand tour, because nobody from work has seen my place except in pictures on my iPhone. But winning any contests isn't my goal anyway - I just want to hatch some more pullets for my flock.

Of course, I'm really good at hatching cockerels..... I'd sure like to try for more pullets this time. [​IMG]

2. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Looking at the map, sure makes me feel lonely. I can't be the only person in California hatching eggs!! (I know I'm not....)

Have 20 eggs weighed and in the *not turned on yet* incubator. All eggs laid tomorrow will be placed in 'bator and then I may have to steal a few from the frig to get up to my signed up amount.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Well, I have a bunch of pullet eggs. Maybe that would work for ya. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Well, I have a bunch of pullet eggs. Maybe that would work for ya. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Have you tried playing angry chick rock to the developing eggs? Chick flicks on 24 hour TV in front of the bator?

6. Beautiful_Chickens

Beautiful_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Quote:OH, how terrible! BUT first, do you have an accurate thermometer or preferably 2 to be sure if it is up to temp or not? I had horrible discrepancy between 3 thermometers, and it is nervewracking!

Anyway, the only thing I can think of is to be sure not to cover the ventilation holes in the incubator if you insulate it. Seems to me bubble wrap sounds good. But be sure to leave the ventilation holes free. I suppose it is not possible to heat the basement with a portable heater or 2???

Anyway, good luck!

7. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Quote:Don't feel lonely, I'm in the south bay( way south...think Morgan Hill/Gilroy) just haven't gotten to the map. Thanks for the reminder about weighing the eggs! Aaggghh, too many things to remember. I got 9 more eggs from a neighbor, she told me what they were, but I've forgotten already (EE's and something) and a pullet egg from a lovely lavender Ameraucana. Woot!!!!

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    (I'm scheming something fun that more people will be eligible for to dole out Nancys prize eggs)

9. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Quote:Don't feel lonely, I'm in the south bay( way south...think Morgan Hill/Gilroy) just haven't gotten to the map. Thanks for the reminder about weighing the eggs! Aaggghh, too many things to remember. I got 9 more eggs from a neighbor, she told me what they were, but I've forgotten already (EE's and something) and a pullet egg from a lovely lavender Ameraucana. Woot!!!!

Cool! I like your area, but haven't done anything more than drive through it. In the early days of Outlet Malls, I made it to Gilroy a couple of times, but it has been a long time since I've been back.
    May your hatch go wonderful! I have my first attempt at EE's, [​IMG] the egg colors, from the NYD egg swap. Should be an exciting hatch!

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

My son turned the incubator on sometime this morning... It was 103.8 when I went to fire it up. And yes, there were all *53* eggs in it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Would anyone like one very naughty 4 year old boy?! I promise you, he will only be *slightly* ruffled when you get him...

So, my eggs were set this am and I'm cooling them now. I swear! I have *never* paid so much for eggs and he done soft cooked them!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by