3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LarryPQ, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay I'm both lurking here and also put the smallest hatch ever in our incubator, since we were filling so many New Year's Day Orders this week! LOL, but not complaining ....so glad for the sales. We put in Lavendar Ameraucanas and Silkies ......fingers cross, I'm hatching but not competing for prizes as we're one of the donors!!!!

Now, I told hubby this is the last new hatch until the New Year.....He said sure..... I only have about 45 more due to candle next week, so I think I'm right....... mmmmm,,,,,wonder if there's a chicken support group nearby. [​IMG]

I'm hatching I'm hatching....LOL

My granny used to say whatever you're doing on New Year's you'll do year long...............Well, this should match really well! Okay back to my writing of that article...!

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay I'm both lurking here and also put the smallest hatch ever in our incubator, since we were filling so many New Year's Day Orders this week! LOL, but not complaining ....so blessed byr the sales. We put in Lavendar Ameraucanas and BBS Silkies ......fingers cross, I'm hatching but not competing for prizes as we're one of the donors!!!!

Now, I told hubby this is the last new hatch until the New Year.....He said sure..... I only have about 45 more due to candle next week, so I think I'm right....... mmmmm,,,,,wonder if there's a chicken support group nearby. [​IMG]

I'm hatching I'm hatching....LOL

My granny used to say whatever you're doing on New Year's you'll do year long...............Well, this should match really well! Okay back to my writing of that article...! Procrastinated for 5 hours....Time to log off and get to work! But I'll be back:)

3. mrheinz77

mrheinz77 New Beginnings Poultry

May 22, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Well, I'm always a day late and a dollar short but I figure better late than never, right?

If I remember correctly I have 165 eggs set. I'll count for sure and update everybody in a while. I'll include what breeds as well.

I ended up setting at 1:00 b/c I had help here to put the tractor and manure spreader back in the shed. Its a tight squeeze.

Here is my home made incubator reassembled and loaded. Notice I have room for more turners, but need to sell more eggs to get some. My chickens are buying their coop mates now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to dinner. I'm late for that too.

4. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I can't get the official Atomic Clock on my iPad so I downloaded an app. (Apple and Java don't get along I guess)
    [​IMG]

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    So I awaken this morning feeling like it's Christmas... It's egg setting day! Jumping out of bed, I put on my robe and I hustle out to the casita (storage room) to pick up my two cartons of eggs to bring them into the house to warm up -- Voiceover from VH1 -- "And then tragedy struck...." In my excitement I must've clutched one of the cartons a little too tightly because I heard -- and felt -- a subtle *crunch* of a Marans egg under my finger.

"Awwww.... @#($)&#!" Worse yet, I had already submitted my tally number for egg set at 32 and now very decidedly down one. Oh, talk about the foibles of counting your chickens before they're hatched...or even your eggs before they're set! And....then....there....was....an....Aha!.....moment.

"Have no fear; TJ's is near!" A scant 15 minutes later I was picking up a carton of Trader Joe's "Fertile" eggs, bypassed the dated Day 332 ones for the 340 ones because they're a week fresher. Brought them home and did an eenie-meenie-minie-mo on which was the lucky egg.

At this point the Sesame Street soundtrack is running through my head.... "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things doesn't belong...."

[​IMG]

DH walked in at about this time and I relayed the mishap to him. He now has nicknamed the egg "Token"..... Not very PC, I know. But we watch a lot of "South Park" And, hey, if I can get him to participate in this folly, so much the better!

- - - -

Fifty minutes to launch time!

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:No extra points for this but all of my RSL are named Ginger! Nice job!

Just finished putting my tree up... I'm covered in sap. Now it's time to get the sap off and put the trains and village up!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:GREAT! I have a bag full of alfalfa pellets we had for our rabbits, before the bobcat ate them both and we also have tons of alfalfa hay. When I go out there to give them water in a couple of hours I'll have to remember to give them some. [​IMG] Thanks

~Aspen

8. LeasureChix

LeasureChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Medford OR
    I didn't realize until I was taking my eggs into the office (where the incubators are), one of my Bargain B/S Marans eggs was caved in on one side. Made me want to [​IMG] . I think it's too damaged to save. The packing was perfect, it was totally the fault of the mail system. I should post a pic of the box.... shame on who ever couldn't read "fragile".

Temp is prefect in the bator and I am 40 minutes from filling it. I will be an egg or two short.... unless I can find a fresh silkie egg real quick.

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG] [​IMG] Here are Jim's beautiful Iowa Blues tucked in and warming nicely [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    [​IMG]

Can I post more than one? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by