3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
Thank you for your amazing (pre-caffeine) answers. If I put the chicks in with the adults, that gives me a pen for either breaking the broodies or putting hen with chicks.
ya.gif
So I guess I'll wait and see who stays broody until 1/1/12 and how many chicks hatch.

I'm pages behind again this morning but wanted to update, apparently my temp spike was worse than I though, night before last everything still looked good but when I checked last night almost all my eggs are dead!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I started putting question marks on the first few thinking I might have lost a few but I've lost almost everything.
hit.gif
hit.gif

I'm so disappointed, I was really looking forward to a great hatch. Looks like pretty much the only things left growing are the little mutt bantie eggs I wasn't even going to set. They are around the edges near the air inlet vents so I guess they didn't get as hot.
sad.png

Quote:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I hope you still get some chicks.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

What's up with all these temp spikes all of a sudden? NYD hatchers seem to be having some pretty bad luck.
sad.png

Edit:
Quote:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. I hope what's left hatches.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

We really are having some horrible luck.
sad.png

Last edited:
I had a big bator unplug!
barnie.gif

Yesterday i found the bator unplugged. The eggs were cold and the humidity had spiked, which means the light had been off for a while. I plugged it back in and all was well.

Then this morning when I went to turn eggs I opened it and the light bulb had blown! The eggs were cold again and the humidity was high!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Got a new light bulb and all seems well again.
fl.gif

I candled on Friday and tossed 6 of 12 duck eggs. The others were developing and had veins and embryos that moved. I also candled the silky eggs and couldn't see anything. I'm now too afraid to candle again until day 18 when I go into lockdown. for now I'll just hide out and hope for the best.

Miss Puffles is also doing much better! She is now sleeping in the closet in my room. I put her in a plastic tote and she perches on the side of it and sleeps. I leave the closet door open so that she doesn't feel lonely while she sleeps. She gets a scrambled egg for breakfast each morning and has run of the house until about noon when I go outside to collect eggs. accept when it's raining, then she stays in the house the entire day.

If you ever come to visit and you smell the stench of rotten eggs, have no fear. It's just the smell of spoiled rotten animals.
gig.gif
hide.gif

I did a quick candle and didn't see much. I decided I should just go ahead and wait. Doesn't help that the majority of the eggs are blue/green.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom