3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

I'm in this year!... I just received my Genesis bator with auto turner... If you guys/gals recall, I have 28 of Mahonri's Chickens.
I'm getting about 3-4 icelandic eggs a day, 3 EE eggs and 1-2 FBC Maran eggs a day now.
I am incubating the few Maran eggs right now, and adding more each day, As I know these eggs are pure.
Still need to seperate the icelandics, I almost have my first coop/run done. The 15ish Icelandics will be in this 4x8 coop by tomorrow, And I just bought a few hundred dollars more in 2x4's and plywood for the next 3 coops.
So in another 2 weeks I can start throwing icelandic eggs in the bator, by then they should be pure right? I think I read that the sperm can last up to 10 days in a hen.
And another question, How long can I save eggs in the refer and still incubate them? So I know about when to start saving eggs for the NYD hatch?

Mahonri, I will give you some eggs to hatch, As I dont know if I will have enough room. I can hold 41 in the Genesis with auto turner.

Thanks Everyone, and Especially thanks to Mahonri.... I'm loving this new hobby... Although a bit expensive getting everything ready
big_smile.png

-Boston Bryce in Heber Arizona

Given as one of the JG girls is stupid and broody now, I'm hoping to add to the hatching collection by having a broody. See if that works. Knowing my girls, they'll all break on the 10th just to be annoying.

Quote:
Aspen....no problem, Sometime we are off a little bit here or there. It will only effect closest to midnight prize ( I think ) someone will correct me if I am wrong.
tongue.png

Thanks Beth.
hugs.gif
If I end up setting some eggs I think I will have them layed out, then who ever doesn't go to the show can set them. This sounds so fun!!
celebrate.gif

~Aspen

Quote:
OK, Boston, you are doing what is known as a staggerd hatch. This can be problematic. Each egg takes 21 days. 18 days on the turner and then three days without turning. Also during the last three days, humidity needs to be upped 30-35% from the first18 days, to 60-70% for the last three days.

I always tired to find a place to store the eggs between 55-70 degrees for 10 days to two weeks prior to putting them in the bator so that they would all go in together. I also have taken eggs out of the fridge and hatched them after they've been in two weeks, but fertility is lower on those eggs. Eventually one of those Icelandics will go broody and then you'll have another incubator, also one of those FBCM girls is prone to go broody.

GO to this thread hatching fertile eggs and read it from front to back on hatching... it's an education.

IF you decide to come down off the mountain any time in the next 3 weeks, I'd take that splash ameraucana roo and pray I don't get turned in! He should be crowing and taking care of the ladies if Geoffrey lets him.

Last edited:
Boston- Since you have Mahonri's Icelandics, would you be willing to let me put a few in my bator? My Icelandic ladies are not yet laying.

**ETA: a few of the Icelandic EGGS, not the chickens.

Last edited:
Quote:
We will have to see how many I end up with for the NYD hatch. Unless you wanted some before I start saving them for NYD.
It would also depend on when I make it back down to the Valley. Although it seems as though I make it down at least every 2-3 weeks.
-Boston

Ahhh I see, Thanks Mahonri. I will have to do this the correct way then, without staggering them.
Thanks for the link, I will be a good boy and read my assigned reading.

And yes I should be down sometime in the next few weeks. I will try to remember to bring your Roo.
smile.png

Also, he is not yet crowing... but he's looking good, and towers over the little icelandics.
-Boss

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom