3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
You should so post the red pyle pics! I love red pyle, I've been looking for something red pyle to add to my flock
love.gif
I dream is to have red pyle malay and/or standrad modern games someday.
droolin.gif
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Don't feel bad. Mine are being shipped too early to set for NYD, but not early enough that I made the Christmas day hatch. I did the math last night (instead of counting sheep I counted hatch dates), and if they arrive today, and I have them in the bator in 3 days, I'll have the 8th Day of Chanukkah Hatch!!! Perhaps 8 little chicks?

My cute little incubator will not settle. She wants back in the general population pen. If I put her in there, she'll probably be broody in a heartbeat but then I have to worry about everyone else getting into the nest with her and squashing the eggs or adding some extras
roll.png

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Quote:
Don't feel bad. Mine are being shipped too early to set for NYD, but not early enough that I made the Christmas day hatch. I did the math last night (instead of counting sheep I counted hatch dates), and if they arrive today, and I have them in the bator in 3 days, I'll have the 8th Day of Chanukkah Hatch!!! Perhaps 8 little chicks?

You do realize that shipped eggs should stand for 24 - 48 hours before going in. AND they can stand a couple extra says without suffering any ill effects if kept between 50 and 70*. Which means... drumroll plz

You CAN play along with us
cool.png

Quote:
When did you move her? I usually move them at night so there's not much fussing. Sometimed I will give her the eggs first in a moveable nest(like a litterbox) and then move her. Or maybe you could make a little pen inside the big one so she can still see everybody? Seems my broodies have little qurks like that and you just have to find out what works for them. I have one now the I gave eggs yesterday for Christmas hatch, she is still in the big pen right now, but nobodys been laying in her nest and I marked all the eggs I gave her, just in case, until I move her out.

Quote:

You do realize that shipped eggs should stand for 24 - 48 hours before going in. AND they can stand a couple extra says without suffering any ill effects if kept between 50 and 70*. Which means... drumroll plz

You CAN play along with us
cool.png

Yes, I'm taking in account the time the eggs need to sit. I'm just worried about the age of the eggs already.

Quote:
When did you move her? I usually move them at night so there's not much fussing. Sometimed I will give her the eggs first in a moveable nest(like a litterbox) and then move her. Or maybe you could make a little pen inside the big one so she can still see everybody? Seems my broodies have little qurks like that and you just have to find out what works for them. I have one now the I gave eggs yesterday for Christmas hatch, she is still in the big pen right now, but nobodys been laying in her nest and I marked all the eggs I gave her, just in case, until I move her out.

We aren't finished with our nest boxes yet so for now the girls are using kitty litter buckets turned on their sides for nest boxes. I put a bucket in with her, and then put an egg in it, which she immediately ran over and scooped out of the nest/bucket and moved it under her, but she didn't sit on it. Then she moved to the other end of the brooder (it's 2' X 4') and she took the egg with her... But then left it alone. I put it back in the bucket when we shut all the lights off, but in the morning it was in the back corner between the bucket and the waterer, and she was pacing at the front of the brooder
hmm.png

I do have a broody Icelandic, who will likely be getting some eggs too, and I think I may put Bluey back in general population and just mark the eggs I give her and hope for the best. Maybe by hatch time she will let me move her and her eggs closer to the floor where I can put something around them to help protect the chick from the other adults.

This hatch will be to boost our egg layer flock. On new years I will be seperating my Icelandics so the Easter hatch can be all about Icelandics
wink.png

Michelle.... I have had new broody hens play the same game. I let her sit on "dud" eggs, wherever she wants. Mark them, most likely the other hens will throw her out of the nest to lay new eggs and then she will go back and sit on them. I pull out my layer eggs everyday. When I see the hen get good and broody (flat) I move her to a dog crate, I scoop up the hen, egg & hay all together. If she settles down great, if not repeat the next day...etc. Then I give her the eggs I really want her to hatch or one from the incubator for her to hatch & brood.
smile.png
Once they figure it out, you are good to go.
fl.gif
your little hen gets it in time.

Back
Top Bottom