3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Thunderbolt the chicken chick died at about 9:30 tonight. S/he hung on for a while then started going down hill fast.
hmm.png

The single quail that hatched seems to be doing well eating and drinking. I've got it on sugar water just in case.
Rest in peace little T.B.
catnchick008.jpg

On another note, I did eggtopsies on the remaining 5 quail eggs, 3 died around the time they were locked down, 2 died maybe a day before hatching, yolks were absorbed but no pip. Time to work on my 'bator.

Quote:
So sorry about Thunderbolt. Jumpy is now dying in my hand, no pasty butt, got her warmed up, she just doesn't want to eat or drink. I know it would be more humane of me to cull her, I just wouldn't know how and am not sure I could if I did.

Quote:
So sorry about Thunderbolt. Jumpy is now dying in my hand, no pasty butt, got her warmed up, she just doesn't want to eat or drink. I know it would be more humane of me to cull her, I just wouldn't know how and am not sure I could if I did.

Seems like a lot of people are losing chicks today, pretty sucky way to be ending the week.
sad.png

I think once they get to the point where they just sleep they dont feel much. But thats just my observation/opinion. At the end T.B. moved around a bit but it was more spasms than reaction to pain or discomfort, if you have kids you'd probly not want them watching that though.

Kids are in bed. She's spasming in my hand. It is breaking my heart, but I don't want to leave her alone, or put her with the others who were pecking at her. I'm such a mess, I can pretend the tears are from my throbbing tooth.

Dingo and Blarnyeggs, I'm so sorry about your little chicks. You did/doing your very best for them and that is something to take comfort in. Sending lots of hugs!

Jumpy's gone. I decided suffering was not ok, and researched a cull technique, as I got set up, she slipped away in my hand so I didn't have to go through with it. But I'm confident that next time when I have a chick that is facing imminent demise I will have the strength to do what I need to do. Thank you all for your support. Here she is still hanging in there:

109936_2012-01-05_233424-1.jpg

Quote:
S/he's at peace now, whatever was wrong with them isn't an issue anymore. RIP Jumpy.

Sorry to here about jumpys loss but hope he is lovin chickens heaven

Back
Top Bottom