3rd Annual New Year's Day Hatch!!

Quote:
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

Quote:
One of the most important questions to ask sellers is what they feed their hens. Most don't realize it, but shipped eggs do much better and don't give such fragile chicks when the mother is fed high quality feed with supplements and high protein. Those eggs contain a better yolk and the protein of the white is stronger. This gives you a chick without nutritional deficiencies.

If your seller just feeds normal 16% layer feed, they might be great if hatched there...but shipped eggs may not work out so well.

I feed a very good blend I have made for me with organic supplements and lots of diverse grains and greens. I think this makes a much better chick in a shipped egg.

Quote:
What a sweet chick! Are you attending the Northeast Poultry Congress next week? Maybe you could find her a friend.

No, I have to work that weekend. Probly for the best anyway, my mom would kill me when I brought home arm loads of chicks.
lol.png

Someone who's attending is buying two or three of my extra roos on their way back to NY.

I just needed to pop on here and tell y'all I just heard the Happy Chick Trill from my brooder. The cheerful "We're OK" cheeping had been slowly decreasing, but there were a couple of active chicks still dashing from waterer to feed and all over the brooder. Then I heard it. That supremely contented "purr" sound. One little chick had reached Nirvana.

love.gif

How can anyone NOT melt at that sound? Especially from chicks only 3 days old at the most.

We had a power outage today for 2 and a half hours.
barnie.gif
The brooder was off that long in the unheated barn. The incubators with my 112 cotunix eggs and my 7 barnevelder eggs were cold too. The quail eggs are 5 days in; I set the chicken eggs yesterday.

The good news is that my chicks from the new year's hatch are fine.
celebrate.gif
I candled one of the quail eggs and it looks okay with veins, etc. I suspect the barnevelder eggs have made it okay as well.
hu.gif

Quote:
Is it really cold for you now?
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
We are having another much needed rain event but it is still fairly warm. Around the 60's . I would think the chicken eggs should be since they weren't that far along
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
Do you have a lot of quail? I am just about to incubate some quail eggs myself
love.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Quote:
What a sweet chick! Are you attending the Northeast Poultry Congress next week? Maybe you could find her a friend.

No, I have to work that weekend. Probly for the best anyway, my mom would kill me when I brought home arm loads of chicks.
lol.png

Someone who's attending is buying two or three of my extra roos on their way back to NY.

Sorry you won't be there. My chicks are split - 11 in my son's room, 10 in my daughter's room (for now). I told them how you lost Thunder the same night we lost Jumpy and they were each willing to give you a chick -my daughter took a bit of convincing, she compared it to choosing a child to give away. But she came around and it was a lesson in compassion for them. If you change your mind, just send me a PM, we'll be at the show.

Back
Top Bottom