3yo hen, watery feces

elc0711

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Hi, all. I have a 3 year old Easter egger hen, presenting with watery feces dripping from her vent. Not white urates - green/brown fecal matter. She has a history of coccidiosis. Just laid an egg today, so I don't believe it to be anything related to that. Otherwise, acting normal, preening, eating and drinking normally, interacting socially, comb is red. Fed 16% layer feed with cracked corn as an occasional treat. The flock of 20 is pastured, no other birds showing signs of illness. Not overly hot temperatures, highs in the mid to upper 70's. She was showing these symptoms earlier in the summer, on a warmer day. Separated and treated with Corid, symptoms resolved in about 3 days, so I assumed it may have been over consumption of water due to the temperature, but continued Corid for 4 more days after signs of improvement to be safe. Any ideas on what this could be or how to treat would be appreciated, and I'd be happy to answer questions if more information is needed. Many thanks in advance.

It sounds like an ecoli infection. You can give her 250mg Amoxicillin once a day for 7 days, and should see improvement by day 4-5.
Thank you for your insight! If I didn't get any responses, amoxi was probably going to be my next step, but I was hesitant on overtreating, too. Good to know I was headed in the right direction!

Back
Top Bottom