Fecal Neg Poop Photo

Nellzmom

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2020
North Carolina
IMG_3327.jpeg
I found this this morning and took it to the vet for fecal, then bought Corid. Looks like more than intestinal shedding to me. Fecal was negative. I told them I was looking for cocci or possibly something else. In 4 years of owning chickens I’ve never had coccidiosis, but there’s been a mole in their pasture, so I assumed it might be cocci.

I know whose it is (I only have 5 and saw her roost position the night before ). She’s 3 years old, eating/drinking/acting normally, and laid an egg this morning. Vent looks normal; no signs of mites, lice etc. All five hens are in various degrees of molt. This one’s feathers are falling/coming in normally.

- could this just be intestinal shedding?
- would you still treat with Corid?

Since you bought the Corid, it won’t hurt to treat them. But do you see anything moving in the droppings? Are there any white specks?

Since you bought the Corid, it won’t hurt to treat them. But do you see anything moving in the droppings? Are there any white specks?
It’s hard to tell because I use sand in the coop, but no, I didn’t see anything moving while I was looking at it, or when I transferred it to the container I took to the vet.

I’ll see what tomorrow’s droppings look like (I checked her location after they went to roost).

If you see more blood, I would treat for worms with Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Corid is fairly mild, so it would not hurt to use that as well. But look for any white specks moving which could be a sign of tapeworms. Tapeworms are treated with a different wormer than other chicken worms.

If you see more blood, I would treat for worms with Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Corid is fairly mild, so it would not hurt to use that as well. But look for any white specks moving which could be a sign of tapeworms. Tapeworms are treated with a different wormer than other chicken worms.
IMG_3331.jpeg

So here is her morning droppings. I didn’t see any blood. After I took the photo, I smashed the droppings around looking for small moving things, and didn’t find anything.

I’m keeping my eye on all the droppings I scoop and will be ready if something pops up again. Thanks @Eggcessive for your input!

Back
Top Bottom