4’s A CROWD

What should we do with these mean roosters?

• Total voters
How does one go about culling a roo? It’s a serious question! I’ve never had to do it and I also have more than one rooster lol

All culling means is to remove him from your flock. But selling or giving away roosters can be difficult.

It is hard to do the first one, but you get better, it helps if you have moral support. I did my first ones with a cone and a banded razor blade. If you don't want to eat it, you can bury it or just dispose of the carcass.

There are a lot of videos and I watched several before we did the first one. Truthfully is a necessary skill if you are going to keep very many birds. I think it is bobbie who's says, "think of it as a good life, with one bad moment."

Mrs K

All culling means is to remove him from your flock. But selling or giving away roosters can be difficult.

It is hard to do the first one, but you get better, it helps if you have moral support. I did my first ones with a cone and a banded razor blade. If you don't want to eat it, you can bury it or just dispose of the carcass.

There are a lot of videos and I watched several before we did the first one. Truthfully is a necessary skill if you are going to keep very many birds. I think it is bobbie who's says, "think of it as a good life, with one bad moment."

Mrs K

Thank you! Learned something new- I assumed culling was a nice way to say kill. I’m currently trying to rehome one of my cockerels, but eventually it may come to having to make that decision. I have silkies, I’ve never heard of people eating them, but I’m so new to this I could be WAY off. Thanks for your reply

Silkies are a delicacy in China and some other far Eastern countries. Maybe there would be interested people living in your area?
Sometimes it's easier than other times to rehome cockerels of any breed. With spring on the way, more people may be interested in adding to their flocks too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom