4/28 of my chicken eggs hatched

I am in northern Canada so it's rather cold here this time of year. If that is the case, I had the humidity too high during incubation.

You need 2 digital hygrometers, 1 is for the room or closet and the other is for the incubator.

The one in the room can tell you exactly the temperature and humidity for that space. Which in turn will reflect the variance of how the incubator will run.

The 1 inside the incubator can be used as your sole reader to indicate if an adjustment needs to be made with the temperature and humidity.

Temperature should run at 100 - 99.5
Day 1- 18 = 35%- 45% humidity
Day 19 - 21= 65% - 70% humidity till hatch.

Also maintain the percentage while chicks are hatching. Cause when a chick breaks free they release extra moisture which will bump the humidity up to 80+ humidity. Which needs to be brought down back to recommended levels.

If your eggs are 3 or 4 days past the hatch date then they are all dead.

Hello all,

I have a mix of 28 chick eggs, and only 4 eggs hatched. Saturday the 30th was day 21 and I am still waiting on the others.

After candling, I found one I was sure was dead. The breeder I purchased from suggested I put it into a bag and cracked it open to have a look. I did this and found a fully formed chick. I didn't see a heart beat or any sign of life otherwise.

Do you think they all suddenly died in late stage, or so you think the others will still hatch?
Well, don't kick yourself here. We all learn as we go. Sometimes it's rough on us or the birds, but just brush it off to a learning experience. You have four chicks to be proud of, and you were given some good advice above for the next time. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom