4/5 girls not laying

Jheanelle

Chirping
Apr 9, 2015
I have 5 chickens. Only one gives me eggs. The other four have not given me eggs since August. I've changed their food quite a few times. They free-range so they get tons of bugs. They will be two years old in April.

I was getting 1 from each (almost) everyday, and now nothing since August
I've done individual quarantine to see if I had an egg eater, but nothing. Each bird when in quarantine didn't lay, nor did any eggs appear.

My golden buff star is a champ and barely misses a day. They aren't stressed! They have a medium sided yard and they get tons of free time out and treats. I made them oatmeal the other day when it snowed. During the summer, I check the yard for eggs. Nothing. Now that it's winter, they stay in their run and I still don't see any eggs or remains if eggs.
Please help. I don't want to cull them.

Attachments

• 20200629_160330.jpg
    20200629_160330.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
How old are they?
Any chicken over about 18 months old will molt then take break until the days get long enough to stimulate ovulation....assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.

Some chickens are more light-dependent than others. My Easter Egger pullets, for example, haven’t laid eggs since September. My 1 year old Orpingtons quit laying for molt and are just now starting back up again.

Since your hens have had their first molt they are past their best egg laying but should start again in spring, just with less frequency than last spring.

I have 5 chickens. Only one gives me eggs. The other four have not given me eggs since August. I've changed their food quite a few times. They free-range so they get tons of bugs. They will be two years old in April.

I was getting 1 from each (almost) everyday, and now nothing since August
I've done individual quarantine to see if I had an egg eater, but nothing. Each bird when in quarantine didn't lay, nor did any eggs appear.

My golden buff star is a champ and barely misses a day. They aren't stressed! They have a medium sided yard and they get tons of free time out and treats. I made them oatmeal the other day when it snowed. During the summer, I check the yard for eggs. Nothing. Now that it's winter, they stay in their run and I still don't see any eggs or remains if eggs.
Please help. I don't want to cull them.
I would find one food they will eat. At least 18% protein and stick with it. Changing food all the time doesn't give you a chance to see if it's their food. I don't think it's their food anyway unless you are feeding them poor food. Do they have fresh water all the time except at night? What breeds are they? Where do you live. Just the state is all we need.

How old are they?
Any chicken over about 18 months old will molt then take break until the days get long enough to stimulate ovulation....assuming you are in the northern hemisphere.
I know what molting is. They aren't molting

I live in New York City. Easter egger barred plymouth rock, and a wyndonette. I've been keeping chickens for years. I've never had a 5 month stop in egg production.

They aren't molting. They have water. Good quality food that I've been using for years. Its not a winter, summer or fall thing because it's been happening since August.

I appreciate you guys help. I want to save my girls.

Is it possible that one of them is eating all the eggs? I've had an egg eater before but she left a mess. You could definitely see some yolk remnants.

I don't see any evidence of an egg eater. Girls are super healthy.

I live in New York City. Easter egger barred plymouth rock, and a wyndonette. I've been keeping chickens for years. I've never had a 5 month stop in egg production.

They aren't molting. They have water. Good quality food that I've been using for years. Its not a winter, summer or fall thing because it's been happening since August.

You'd be surprised, if my hens molt early, they still don't lay again until well after solstice, so a 5 month stop in production isn't that unusual. I simply don't get any eggs in winter at all from mature layers, so even 1 bird laying would be a miracle for me. Maybe you've had more productive breeds in the past? If eggs are the main concern, then staggering your flock's ages and cycle out older birds would be the best way to keep up consistent production.

Other possibility is something getting into the yard and eating the eggs, but that seems unlikely since you are still getting an egg.

I switch my laying hens over to 22% protein in the fall to help with molt. They always have oyster shell and I feed egg shells back to them. I've got a mixed flock of layers probably 24ish gals and I'm down to about 8 eggs a day.
Some of mine have or going through a light molt, less light, differences in particular breeds production, and poor weather.
Maybe limit treats. Higher protein feed. Supplemental light.
I do run a light for my quail but they are inside the garage.

Back
Top Bottom