4-5 week old Barred Rocks... Pullets or Roos?

pandababy

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
Any clues? All three the same size. They all have yellow combs so far. Their legs all have dark steaks but are not solid dark. The combs scare me, but there's no color to them.

Guesses????

These are my first chicks ever! Hope they aren't all roosters ;)

Their combs are not abnormally large for pullets, but the color is difficult to discern (I know you said they are yellow, but sometimes one person's "pale" is another person's "turning pink"). The barring is pointing to pullet vs. cockerel, but the red wash of the heat lamp is distorting the image -- your chicks are more than beyond the age at which they can be away from the heat for the time it takes to get photos (and then some!) - so take some naturally lit photos and we can better assess

For reference, hete are two 5 1/2 week old barred rocks, one pullet and one cockerel....note the difference in barring and how prominent and pink his comb is

Another of him

would you please take pictures without the red light, so we can see true colors? OhGreyMare's photos plainly show the difference between male (grayer color) and female Black barring.

OGM what color are you painting it?

Its meant to be sage and deep purple (paint chips say Eucalyptus Tree and Delicious Plum) --- loved them in theory, not so sure in practice, lol. Hoping they'll have grown on me in the morning.....got most of the trim painted and part of one of the larger walls, hope to finish tomorrow

Thanks so much for looking :) Here's a couple more pics! I'm not using the red light all time, just when I visit them in the evening because they seem to like it ;)

Oh and a foot pic (red light was on) They all are basically the same, with dark streaks.

No pink yet in the comb but the combs seem kind of large? Or maybe not?

Back
Top Bottom