4-5 Week Old Silkies

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Sometime tomorrow we're picking up a couple of 4-5 wk old Silkies and currently we don't have a place to put them outside as the chick coop is housing our older chicks. Once the other chicks are big enough to be placed with the flock, these ones will be put in the chick coop.

Will it be fine to keep them indoors longer than they normally should be?

We're getting rain starting Wednesday next week until Friday Nov 30th so I don't want to stick them out yet until we have something for them to sleep in.

We used to raise Silkies alongside other breeds around the time we started raising chickens but stopped after my mother mainly wanted Polish. Now we currently(until tomorrow) only have a Silkie/Cochin mix named Mouse.

Any advice you can offer will be appreciated!!

I don't see why you can't keep them in the house longer than that. There are several people who keep them as house pet's even as adults. There are little chicken diaper's that you can put on them.
They're not becoming house pets. My parents have already made it clear that we can't keep house chickens unless it's only 1 chicken. I have already owned a house chicken before and her name was Rusty due to her color but sadly she lived for one year before a hawk got her.

They're not becoming house pets. My parents have already made it clear that we can't keep house chickens unless it's only 1 chicken. I have already owned a house chicken before and her name was Rusty due to her color but sadly she lived for one year before a hawk got her.

They don't have to be permanently in the house. I was just relating to you what some other's do, so that your's should be fine for a while longer. I see that you are in Washington, so it will probably be cold up there. The chick's will have to be taken outside to accumulate them to your outdoor temp's.

Back
Top Bottom